going solo

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Certainly not much i can add here! I've been hiking and packing solo for years. Not all the time but quite often. Usually out of need as my work responsibilities often conflict. I've always enjoyed those times alone! It brings about a greater awareness and enjoyment of the "simpler things". I've especially enjoyed taking some of the less traveled routes in the better weather but always leave my wife details of trails and campsites just in case.

A while back someone on the board posted some excerpts on going solo from "Camping and Woodcraft" by Horace Kephart. I enjoyed them so much I actually "fancied it up" and printed and framed it! It very eloquently put into words what most of us feel when solo!

Go for it!!

Dick, I really encourage you to give solo hiking a whirl if that’s what you want to do. I’ve been hiking, myself, for more than 50 years now, but only within the last 10-15 have done much alone. My soloing started of necessity because I had difficulty rounding up partners to hike with, but it has become a favorite way to go, for many of the reasons already mentioned by others.

I’m talking day tripping here. It has been a number of years now since I’ve done any overnight backpacking trips, and the few multi-day solos I did once upon a time in the distant past were not especially enjoyable for me. The hiking was great; camp time wasn’t. Things very well might be different now, since attitudes and perspectives change as we age. I’ve car-camped alone in recent years and found it better than “bearable.”

Solo hiking does not necessarily equate to solitude or complete isolation from other people, in my book. It only means that my hiking party is a party of one. Encounters with other folks along the trail do not particularly compromise my solo experience. I seldom fail to meet other people, and ordinarily enjoy that. But I don’t like crowds, either.

If you can arrange it, one-way solo hikes in the Adirondacks are wonderful: Get dropped off here; get picked up there. Indian Pass, Klondike Notch, Adirondack Loj to Upper Works via Avalanche Pass-Lake Colden-Flowed Lands-Calamity Brook offer obvious possibilities. There are many others of varying length and difficulty. More fun than out-and-back via the same route. Mrs. Grumpy is wonderfully cooperative about this type of adventure with me. I am a lucky man to have married well.

When going solo I am especially meticulous about sticking with the hike itinerary/plan left with the home folks (usually Mrs. G.). To me, this is an important aspect of taking responsibility for myself. If something goes haywire for me along the way I really don’t want to complicate things for the rest of the world. So I don’t deviate from the planned route. I do try to stay within the time frames, but won’t push if running late -- I still take time to drink water, eat, rest, plant my feet carefully, etc.. The goal is to get home under my own power and in one piece.

Good hiking!

G.