Going "Ultra" lite.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
Well, I am a neophyte but I have shaved off some pack weight and would like to see what the ultralite students and experts have to say about my pack list which I've attached including everything's weight in grams. (28 grams = 1oz. 454 g. = 1 lb.)

If a few items are missing it is because my partner, RDL, will be bringing them. ie. first aid, camera,filter,bear bag and rope. I'm estimating a lb a day for food which will be freeze dried and trail snacks. Water will vary from none to 5 or 6 lbs.

OK guys, tear my list apart!

I know, I have nearly a half lb. in 2 stuff sacks (those suckers are heavy!) but I want to ensure dryness. My lowtop shoes are heavy as is my sleeping bag. The flute...well I don't know what to think about that. Maybe if you had to listen to me :eek: you'd recommend I leave it at home!

Looks good to me. I'm jealous - very light!!!

Here's a checklist I created that you might be interested in. Yes, some of these items may look odd, but it's my own personal list.

Neil,
Looks good.
Save a quater pound and ditch the pack cover, and line your pack w/ a trash compactor bag. I would ditch the fleece also. Use your sleeping bag as a blanket to throw over you, or get in it when it is cold enough. Or Did I miss read that, is it a fleece hat and fleece gloves, or a fleece top (jacket)?

That's already lighter than I've ever done a 3-nighter - I use a self-standing tent and don't have a particularly light bag or pad.
I'm reduced to pointing out that you didn't list toothpaste. Also, make sure you have some strong twine to hang up your bear bag (is that what you meant by rope?).

If you're still looking to shave grams, consider ultra-light tent stakes. Under sixty grams for a set of six - save at least 130 grams.

Also, you've not only got two stuff sacks (160g), you've also got a pack cover (120g). Personally I'd carry none of the above - maybe a pack cover if I'm actually expecting heavy rain (and if I owned one). In that case, I'd also pack rain pants, which you don't list. Use plastic grocery bags if you're worried about wet items within your pack.

You could save another 196g (and a lot of pack space) by switching to the Short version of the Prolite 4, sacrificing comfort on the ankles.

Thanks for your input guys.

The pack cover is to protect the pack (sil-nylon) because we will be doing some thick bushwacking. The pack dosn't have a lid either.
I have the short Prolite 4. It doubles as padding in my pack.
No toothpaste.
The stuffsacks are for dryness because the top half of the pack has an open mesh back. I sweat like crazy. Also, even with the pack cover I'm worried about rain falling between my back and the pack soaking my stuff.

Next move will be to sylnylon stuff sacs and a better sleeping bag.

I think I'll replace the fleece top (270 g) with a lighter longsleeved synth top and use the sleeping bag if nec. for added warmth.

The Jetboil and full cannister is heavier than I thought it would be. Maybe I'll get a coke can stove next.

I thought about the tent stakes. The really light ones don't look like they'd be any good in the Adirondack duff . Maybe no stakes at all, ie. using sticks would be better.
I was going to leave the good headlamp behind and only carry the Ion but decided a bright beam that projects over 50 ft. would be a good thing to have.

PhillyGeo said:
Whaaaaa?! Bring a little baggie with baking soda. Your poor teeth with thank you. :D
I forgot, I'll have floss. I use humous for tooth paste.

PhillyGeo said:
Whaaaaa?! Bring a little baggie with baking soda. Your poor teeth with thank you. :D

I can see an incident at the border in the making! :eek:

Q: What's in the baggie?

A: Baking Soda

Q: What's that for?

A: Brushing my teeth

Q: Could you step out of the car sir? :D

"Bring a little baggie with baking soda." PhillyGeo

Good advice.

Baking soda, like duct tape - so versatile. Don't leave home w/o it. Brush yer teeth, sprinkle a little in yer bag and/or here & there for odor control, even brings flat beer back to life... ;)

Neil said:
I forgot, I'll have floss. I use humous for tooth paste.
You can get those little finger condoms that are impregnated with toothpaste and have an abrasive end. a four day supply will weigh less that brush alone. My son and I use them and got rid of that stuff that can also leak out into the rest of your stuff and make it sticky. One time use saves any wonders of "is my brush still clean in the bottom of this pack?"

This time of year you can go to a very light alcohol stove and save tons of ounces.

Barry Sr said:
You can get those little finger condoms that are impregnated with toothpaste and have an abrasive end. a four day supply will weigh less that brush alone. My son and I use them and got rid of that stuff that can also leak out into the rest of your stuff and make it sticky. One time use saves any wonders of "is my brush still clean in the bottom of this pack?"
Tooth powder used to be available--perhaps you can still get some. Lighter than paste.

This time of year you can go to a very light alcohol stove and save tons of ounces.
Depends on the length of the trip--alcohol is a less efficient fuel (more weight per heat energy) than is gasoline.

Doug

Too fun.....

OK, you asked for it. I'm having a hard time as I don't speak grams, so its hard for me to know how heavy your individual things actually are.

Ditch the pack cover. Sounds like you have the pack I do- if it rains, your rain jacket over your shoulders like a cape will keep water out. I amde it rthrough a 1 hour downpour, no problem.

Alcohol stove beats jet boil, especially in summer. Also using pot with alcohol stove eliminates need for bowl.

Tarp tent and mosquito netting? Did you mean tarp? A tent and a bivy is redundant. Sounds like something could go here, but not sure what.

Skip the shorts - you'll want the pants to bushwack. Wear boxers and act like they are shorts. No one will know the difference.

Flute? Very cool.

M.

Last edited:
DougPaul said:
Depends on the length of the trip--alcohol is a less efficient fuel (more weight per heat energy) than is gasoline.

Doug
Depends on a number of things less efficient is not always true

very intense stove site, lots of research
try this site for loads of info.
You always have to compare desired effect, food cooked, and number of people to feed as well. Not saying write or wrong just saying alternative.

4 days I can do stove, fuel, pot, food right around a pound or two.