Good boot selection N. of Boston?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
arghman said:
Do any of these places have good return policies, e.g. you can return them after you've worn them? (ala EMS or LL Bean) Often I can't tell whether a boot works until after I've gone 3 or 4 miles (walking around inside doesn't cut it).

No, they don't really have a great return policy as far as used items. You can't wear them if you want to return them.

I guess if you are worried about that you might not want to go that route. Personally, I'm just trying to find a boot that fits me, period. I'm not even to the point of worrying about 4 miles down the road. I want something that works at 0 miles.

As it is, I've pretty much decided that this will be my last stock pair of boots. I'll be putting myself on the wait list for custom Limmers shortly.

LLBean has the best return policy--if for any reason you are not satisfied, you can get your money back. They have won me as a customer for life because of that policy.
I have Limmer boots and do love them. When I was in their shop last year I considered getting on the list for the custom boots but they did not recommend them for me since I have no foot problems. I wonder how custom they would last if your foot changes --which mine has done over the years.

Great thread!

I have a friend with the opposite problem to most here - finding good boots in smaller sizes. Anyone know which stores listed might have more of a selection at the tiny feet end of the spectrum?

Well, the boots are starting to trickle in. They're coming from all over the country. One pair, which came out of Boston, has already arrived. Two more have shipped out of CA and UT, should be here Thursday. Two more left to ship. This is exciting! :)

LLBean, EMS & Zappos...

skibones said:
LLBean has the best return policy--if for any reason you are not satisfied, you can get your money back. They have won me as a customer for life because of that policy.

I agree, LLBean has a great returns policy -- I've returned a pair of expensive snowshoes whose bindings wouldn't hold after a season of use - they even refunded the original shipping. They won me as a customer for life.

EMS' policies are good as well. They've taken back mountaineering boots when it was clear the boots were just killing my ankles on winter hikes. I bought another pair with the refund, and have been happy since. I understand, and witnessed from seeing REI N. Reading's quarterly sale, including the bone pile, that they must take back used/failed gear as well.

I've tried zappos.com for ordering boots as well. They are also very good - a good price guarantee, and free shipping both ways. The only catch is that if you wear the boots/shoes/etc outside, then you own them. Just be very sure you like them before venturing outside. I returned mountaineering boots after it was clear that these boots cut off my foot circulation in my warm, cosy living room, nevermind on Mt Adams in February... :D

-LTH

Here is the followup on my boot purchase from Shoebuy.com...

Montrail Torre GTX 12.5W: I really thought these were going to be the ones that fit me the best, but they turned out to have too much volume in the forefoot. It was cavernous in there and it let my foot slide around too much.

Dunham Mountain Master 12W: These were some seriously heavy duty boots. Thick, stiff leather and soles. These ones had too much volume in the heel, and felt a little tight in the arch area. They just didn't feel right.

Danner Mountain Light II 12W: The Danners were really nice boots, not as heavy as the Dunhams, but excellent contruction. These also had a little too much volume in the heel area. They felt pretty good just walking around, but once I started flexing my foot alot, going up and down stairs and jumping around they proved to be a little too loose.

Asolo Powermatic 200 12W: I really liked these boots, of the non-welted boots these had the best construction. They just looked and felt solid. They fit me really well and I definitely would have chose these if not for one little problem. For some reason, when I was walking my left toe would hit the front of the boot. It didn't hit when I banged my toe against the ground, it didn't hit when walking up and down stairs, only when walking on flat ground. Bummer.

Vasque Sundowner Summit 12W: I probably wore each pair of boots for a few hours each, but when I first put these on I had a feeling they were the ones I'd end up with. It was like putting on an old comfortable pair sneakers. They just fit my foot like a glove. No tight spots, no toe bang, no heel lift. They fit too good to pass up.

Shoebuy.com: I give them a 10 out of 10. The service was great, the selection was great and the prices were great. I think the final price on my boots was about $137, which is considerably less than anyplace else I've seen. They're $190 at most retailers. They give you 10% off your first order when you register and 10% off every subsequent order within 60 days. I also used a 15% off coupon code (ENTERTAIN05) which is good until the end of the year.

The customer service was impressive. I e-mailed them more than a week after I made the order with the 15% off coupon code and they graciously applied it to my order and credited my account. The return process was simple and they credited my account with the returns almost immediately after they recieved them. I believe it was the same day they recieved the packages.

Overall, it was a great experience and, hopefully, I got a pair of boots that will last me a few years and few hundred miles.