Good camping

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossgoddard

Reaction score
A friend of mine wants me to take her and some friends camping for her birthday. I'd like to stay out of the jellystone-esque areas, but it cant be too backcountry.
I was thinking sawyer pond? Will it be mobbed?
also, somthing off the Kanc maybe, as there is good swimming nearby
also, we are thinking memorial day weekend. Bad idea?
also, we are willing to drive 3 hours from boston, so other areas are cool too
fire away!
-Harrison

Wlecome to VFTT, rossgoddard :)

I wouldn't worry too much about crowds of campers. We'll see alot of visitors in the mountains, but not campers. This time of year, along with Autumn, is the BEST time for camping, IMHO.

Sawyer Pond Road should be open by then.

Last edited:
rossgoddard: not really knowing what your/her level of experience is, you might want to try Dolly Copp Campground first. Our idea of camping may be very different from hers, so advice here will be skewed toward a somewhat more adventurous direction. When I was in my 20's I was dating and she wanted to go for a mild backpack. It was all over when she had to use the privy. Funny - we didn't date much after that hike :)

If you are looking for an easy hike in to a nice spot, Sawyer Pond is definitely a nice location. On Memorial Day weekend, it is unlikely that you will be alone there and I would suggest that you take along a tent if you are looking for privacy.

Franconia Brook is also a nice, easy location to get to, with virtually no elevation gain to deal with.

Rocky branch Shelter #2 is also a nice easy choice in a beautiful setting.

For a great list of shelters and tent sites in the Whites, go to Dave Metsky's "White Mountains Info Server" site HERE

If you are swimming in the rivers in the Whites over Memorial Day you will find the rivers typically in the 55-60 degree range. I bit cool for my liking ;)

Keep in mind the mosquitoes and black flies are usually out in full force around Memorial day. Your choice in camping areas will make a difference in how exposed to the critters you are, ie...open sunny dry field tenting vs deep (damp)woods etc. I have many strong recollections of being eaten alive while camping on or around Memorial day weekend especially when camped deeper into the woods. Location, Location, Location...

BEUCS said:
Keep in mind the mosquitoes and black flies are usually out in full force around Memorial day.

Good call, very important.

The second half of April is one of my sweet spots of the year because it's warm, but the bugs aren't out yet.