Good down booties for around camp?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongoose

Reaction score
Does anyone have suggestions for good insulated booties (down or synthetic) for around camp? The only good and reasonbly priced ones I've found are the MEC Hut Booties, Sierra Designs Down or WB booties and the EMS Mountain Light Booties. I'm looking for something I can wear down to at least 0F around camp, lower would be better.

I used to hate carrying extra gear like this while hiking, but making camp life a little more comfortable would be worth it. Maybe I'll even get the willpower to wake up earlier and leave camp sooner. :)

Mongoose said:
I used to hate carrying extra gear like this while hiking, but making camp life a little more comfortable would be worth it. Maybe I'll even get the willpower to wake up earlier and leave camp sooner. :)
Many people use boots that will not keep their feet warm for a long period when stopped (or camping). Booties are an important safety factor under these conditions. I frequently carry them on day hikes as backup for my boots getting wet or as bivy gear.

They can also be worn inside a sleeping bag or for night-time visits to the woods.

Mine are 30yrs old (and still going strong), so I haven't looked at current models, but I prefer polyester because it is easy to get them wet. Mine have a cordura sole which gives a bit of traction. I added a felt insole for additional warmth. Lastly, you want a drawstring with bullet catch (or equivalent) to keep them from coming off if you posthole. (And to keep the snow out.)

Doug

I hate bringing extra gear, too. But booties are part of what I perceive as essential.

Booty booties

This may be blindingly obvious, but it’s important to wear something OVER your down or synthetic booties when you’re wandering around outside. This keeps them dry and clean so you can wear them into your tent and sleeping bag. I sewed a pair of Polarguard booties from a Frostline kit about 30 years ago. Outside the tent, I now wear them under a pair of OR mukluks, which have a layer of foam under the foot, which is nice. I've seen guys simply use stuffsacks.

Mark A. said:
This may be blindingly obvious, but it’s important to wear something OVER your down or synthetic booties when you’re wandering around outside. This keeps them dry and clean so you can wear them into your tent and sleeping bag. I sewed a pair of Polarguard booties from a Frostline kit about 30 years ago. Outside the tent, I now wear them under a pair of OR mukluks, which have a layer of foam under the foot, which is nice. I've seen guys simply use stuffsacks.
If you do this, make sure your outer layer has sufficient traction so that you can walk safely. (Ie, don't use sil-nylon stuffsacks.)

As I noted earlier, my booties have a cordura outer sole which gives sufficient traction on level ground. Nothing wrong with wearing a "bootie shell", but I have never needed one. YMMV.

Note just to make sure there is no confusion: I am talking about down/polyester booties, not down/polyester socks. Most booties that I have seen have a simple sole adequate for walking on level ground.

Note2: A substitute for booties is extra-warm dry socks in stuff sacks. (A good option for an emergency bivy without formal booties.) One drawback--this combo may tend to collect moisture due to the cold-side moisture barrier. (You could add warm-side plastic bags (VBLs) to prevent this.)

Doug

Last edited:
Mountain Hardware makes a nice down boot with "rippled" rubber soles for no-skid. I used them every night on my Outward Bound course in MN where the temps drop to minus 40. I slept with them on my feet but we did use our Sorels when working about in our camp. I thought they were wonderful at night and if you had to get up you already were wearing something warm.
They are obviously not insulated to those bitter cold temps but they did serve a great purpose and I use them all the time in VT and NH.
They also make great houseslippers! :cool:

Mark A. said:
. . . it’s important to wear something OVER your down or synthetic booties when you’re wandering around outside. . . .

I just slip my bootied feet into my plastic boot shells, which provide the traction and the wet-proofness. Then, when I've returned to the tent/shelter from my little walk into the woods, I just slip the shells off again. (My liners, of course, are safe inside my sleeping bag, waiting to provide a nice cool surprise when I climb in to sleep! :eek: )

It seems like many people don't like the sierra designs booties. Has anyone tried the EMS booties?

Tried and Tested

These Booties in combination with the OR Mukluks have work really well for me. I would go synthetic for sure what ever you do; moisture from within and out will soak a pair of down booties real quick!