Google's Latitude for the Backcountry?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waumbek

Reaction score
Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
A question for the tech savvy. Is Google's Latitude, or something similar, ever likely to be adapted to the backcountry? It's described as a "new feature for Google Maps on mobile devices that lets users track and find their friends and family from a smartphone, laptop or desktop computer." In other words, the current application is urban-suburban domestic stuff--did someone's flight land, are they stuck in traffic, is a friend in town for the weekend, and so forth.

A question for the tech savvy. Is Google's Latitude, or something similar, ever likely to be adapted to the backcountry? It's described as a "new feature for Google Maps on mobile devices that lets users track and find their friends and family from a smartphone, laptop or desktop computer." In other words, the current application is urban-suburban domestic stuff--did someone's flight land, are they stuck in traffic, is a friend in town for the weekend, and so forth.
Pragmatically, this would require an active cellphone connection which would be a problem in the backcountry. (I'm not sure you want to pay satphone rates for such a service...)

Also, a (the?) commercial incentive for such services is near stores so you can be presented with an ad from a nearby store.

Doug

Pragmatically, this would require an active cellphone connection which would be a problem in the backcountry. (I'm not sure you want to pay satphone rates for such a service...)

Also, a (the?) commercial incentive for such services is near stores so you can be presented with an ad from a nearby store.

Doug

<sarcasm>
But, they could implant several difficult-to-see animals with GPS tracking chips and guide "outdoor enthusiats" within proximity to such animals. It'd be nature at it's best!
</sarcasm>

Sad, but it might eventually come to that...

<sarcasm>
But, they could implant several difficult-to-see animals with GPS tracking chips and guide "outdoor enthusiats" within proximity to such animals. It'd be nature at it's best!
</sarcasm>

An outdoor zoo...

You still need to get the real-time locations to the "outdoor enthusiasts", but by then we may have a cellphone tower and radio beacon on every 4K peak .

Doug

Spot?

Isn't that what SPOT does? if you can view it on the web you can use a mobile device that connects to the web, such as a web enabled phone. Or does SPOT only send emails?

<sarcasm>
</sarcasm>

Already has. Several wildlife management agencies have decided to restrict access to online reporting of the locations of GPS-collared animals that was formerly freely available. The technology is being used for a wide range of species these days. There are also transmitting/recording "critter cams" that have been mounted on collars to see what a bear, etc. does during the day. The concern is that some unethical hunters might use access to such information to locate the animals.

And yes, we didn't need the technology to know what a bear does in the woods . . .

I just installed latitude on my windows mobile phone. It certainly could be a good thing for social networking, but not a good replacement for SPOT. I will use it when kayaking on the ocean.

Of course there has to be cellular service available to use it, but that should not be a problem up high in the Northeast (or along the coast).

I would not even think of using it unless you have a *unlimited* data plan.

If your phone has GPS and you enable your GPS, the precise position will be reported.
Otherwise your reported location appears to be the location of the cell phone tower that the phone is using.

I turned the GPS off on my phone and watched my location appear on the map...it was the location of the cell towers up on the opposite ridge. As I moved to the other side of the house, the blue dot moved by a mile or two to the location of another cell phone tower up by Home Depot. So the conclusion is that you need a GPS enabled phone to get an accurate position.

With the GPS in my phone turned on, my location was a blue dot right on top off the house I am in (in satellite photo view)

Here is a video which gives a quick overview and use-cases of Latitude. Friends can track you on their PC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-Oq-9enE-k

Here is a video which tells you how to control your privacy with Latitude:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXmcoadcoJY&feature=channel

If you are looking to install the application (Latitude is a part of Google Maps- not a special application) on your phone its:

http://www.google.com/latitude

That should redirect you to the proper place depending on what device/browser you are using.

Last edited: