GorillaPod Focus

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Seaver

Reaction score
GorillaPodFocus.jpg

(I had mentioned this in a trip report, but wanted to post it here for all the photo-geeks among us)

Joby now has a "pro" version ( i.e. not junk) of their GorillaPod. It weighs 1.1 lb. without a head, supports a full size DSLR with a heavy lens, and can be found for about $80. I am just using a cheap Giotto ball head meant to hold a flash, and am still searching for the ultimate miniature-yet-rugged ball head.

For above treeline landscapes, it is just what is needed!
A few pictures taken on the pod from yesterday.

Thanks, Grumpy. I have a few RRS camera plates from awhile back - I didn't know that they made such nice little heads. Of course, they cost more than the tripod in this case, but not something to quibble about ;).

That BH-25 does look like it work be the ticket, especially with the re-positionable t-handle - that's the main problem with these Giottos, not being able to crank down on the ball, which is too small to begin with ( probably not even 3/4" compared to 1" for the RRS).

At what point in their line does it cease to be "junk"? The SLR-Zoom looks like the same legs as the "junk" ones, i.e., not until the Focus do the legs look different.

Tim

At what point in their line does it cease to be "junk"? The SLR-Zoom looks like the same legs as the "junk" ones, i.e., not until the Focus do the legs look different.

Tim
Bump! This thread is almost a year old. The original thread, Gorillapod = Amazing is even older.

My camera weighs very close to a pound, and its weight is pretty evenly distributed on the two sides of the screw. I was thinking of getting an SLR Zoom, which can. according to specs, carry about three pounds.

I love the concept but when people I respect call a product "junk" I am reluctant to buy it.

Looking at the specs page it does seem that the legs of the Focus have a different construction from the other three models.

Last edited:
Hm. I thought about getting one of these at one point but decided against it because of concern about how stable it could possibly be. If the legs are designed to be bendable, without a way to lock them into being rigid, then the shutter click is going to cause some significant vibration. I just went with a Gitzo and deal with carrying it.

Hocus Focus

I've been using one of the Focus tripods for almost a year now, and am pretty pleased with it for what it is. Great for above treeline and for using on cairns, boulders, and trees. The joints are quite stiff ( and don't seem to be getting any looser), so using slow shutter speeds hasn't really been a problem. If your camera has the capability, using the 2 or 10 second self-timer function along with the mirror lock function eliminates the biggest source of vibration, the mirror slapping.

It's not a substitute for a full sized tripod, but it is a great little piece of equipment for when I want or need to go very light but still have a camera support. I've used it with a Canon 5D MkII with the 24-105 f4, which is a pretty heavy chunk of equipment, with no problems. Telephotos up to a 80-200 f 2.8 ( or 300 f4) that have a tripod collar also work quite well on these little pods, having a much better balance by putting the camera body behind the ball head rather than ON the head - much less nose-heavy and less stress on the ball head clamping mechanism.

Last edited:
Yesterday I took a few pictures of flowing water with long exposure, no tripod. So this morning I just ordered the combination of Gorillapod and head that Tim mentioned in the first post of this thread. Looking forward to some interesting pictures :)

As I noted in Mohamed's trip report (http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38134), one can often do quite well by using one's poles as 2 legs of a tripod. Hold the handles together, hold the camera on top of the handles, use your body as the 3rd leg, and hold your breath as you press the button. I've successfully pulled this off for 1 sec exposures (eFL 27mm, with IS).

Doug

Mohamed, how is your new setup working?

For others who might be in the market, here's the all-in-one tripod/ballhead combo (for SLRs and heavier lenses) from Joby...Gorillapod Focus with Ballhead-X

Helpful embedded video in the customer review section near the bottom of the page. Not a perfect comparison, he's using a flat table with no wind. But still a nice free preview of what it's capable of in calm conditions.

Last edited: