Gosford Park [access to mt Gosford and Boundary Peak (NEHH) ] closed for Moose season

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1SlowHiker

Reaction score
The Ranger at Mt Gosford park asked me to pass on the word to other stupid non French speaking Americans (he didn’t really say it like that but it was implied) that the big red sign near the gate that says SENTIER FERME means TRAILS CLOSED, and that the park is closed to hikers during Quebec Moose season Sept 29-Oct 10 & Oct 18-Oct 26. More info at www.montgosford.com (in French). Using an on-line translator the notice on that site says:
“Please note down that, for your security, THE TERRITORY WILL BE CLOSED in the ramble walking during the periods of hunt in from September 29th till October 10th and from 18 till 26 October 2014. Note that THE TERRITORY WILL BE OPENED during the weekend of the Action of Favours to use colours of the autumn.”
I actually went through and hiked to Boundary peak Oct 3rd , the gate was open when I got there at 7am but no one was around and there were no envelops in the self registration box. I wrote a nice note with my info saying I’d pay any fee on the way out and slipped in it the mail slot. The ranger was really PO’d when I stopped to pay on the way out “You no belong here!, Park closed except members! It Moose season’! You get shot!. (You stupid American! –implied). Oh, so that’s why on the way back down I had to step off the ATV trail for a dozen ATV’s laden with orange capped camouflaged Canadians, coolers of beer, guns, tote pails, and hauling empty ATV trailers was all about! Actually after a bit of conversation the ranger was very friendly and understanding and wouldn’t even except a fee for going into the park.