Boundary Peak from Cupsuptic Pond, 9/1/2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
September 1, 2012: Boundary Peak

Trails: U.S./Canada Boundary swath (aka Boundary Trail), Logging Road, and ATV Trails

Summits: Boundary Peak

Hikers: Trail Trotter (Sue) and me

We planned to hike this peak a week earlier. The initial approach was to hike Boundary Peak from White Cap. The bushwhack from White Cap was much more difficult than expected and we bailed. Sue and I decided a good approach to this weekend was to finish off last weekend’s plans first. This week’s approach to Boundary Peak started from Cupsuptic Pond.

After getting through the maze of logging roads leading to the area of Cupsuptic Pond we needed to negotiate a final section that was very tight from both sides (like a carwash), and a section of flooded road. We managed to get through it all and parked at a wide place where there is a trail leading to the pond for fishing access. On paper the hike specs appear to be fairly mild but I was warned it’s a tough hike by a couple others that have followed this route.

Sue and I set off a little later than planned only because it took longer to reach the parking location than expected. The conditions for the day were blue sky, dry, and cool; they couldn’t be better. We started the hike in rain gear. The first ~.3 mile is grown in from both sides and the growth was drenched with dew. Once we reached the U.S./Canada border swath we retired the rain gear for the day; we were generally done with tight places.

Hiking the border swath is an interesting experience. With the clear conditions we enjoyed 100% sun exposure – there was no shade along the border. The cool and dry air made the walk in the sun very pleasant. One feature of the hike that I was warned about are the huge PUDs along the way. There are several significant climbs and descents on the way to Boundary Peak. The comfortable conditions helped a lot. We also had a good understanding of distance, elevation, and time; we knew a relaxed pace would get the job done with plenty of daylight to spare. We never felt the need to push harder on the hike because of a concern about finishing before dark. We took our time, enjoyed the day, and the hike turned out to be a very pleasant approach to this peak.

Along the way to Boundary Peak the boundary swath is lined with moose hunting blinds. Some blinds are located at ground level and others are elevated. They all have salt licks to attract the animals and most also have plastic barrels that have been cut in half and serve as watering troughs. I believe all of the blinds are associated with Zec Louise-Gosford, a wildlife management area on the Quebec side of the border. Before going to the area I checked the season dates and found hunting season for archery started on 9/29 and firearm season followed.

The final climb to Boundary Peak is a long grind up a rocky, rough section. Ascending and descending this section is unlike most of the rest of the hike. The grassy and fern-covered areas changed to loose rocks. The hiking wasn’t that much more difficult, just less comfortable. We arrived to the summit cairn and found a local resident there to greet us. An ermine was playing in the rocks of the cairn. Sue and I stood quietly as he popped out at unpredictable locations on the cairn. At times it almost seemed he was posing for the camera. He was a cute little guy.

We got our summit pictures at the cairn and wandered into the growth behind the cairn to make an entry in the summit register. After a little relaxing on the summit to enjoy the views, and enjoy the day, it was time for our exit hike.

A wide-open boundary swath is a combination of good news and bad news. Good news - on a day like this we had the opportunity to really enjoy the terrific conditions. Bad news – everything we would hike over was standing there in full view letting us think about it for a while before it happened (whatever “it” was). That’s alright, the good outweighed the bad – it wasn’t even close.

We wandered back past the hunting blinds noticing details we missed on the first pass. We also noticed blinds in the woods that were completely missed on the first time through. Eventually we were back to the end of Cupsuptic Pond Road and making the turn for the final short walk to the truck. The carwash was closed but the growth along the trail was still very tight. We were able to slide through it and soon reached the truck.

We quickly packed our things, grabbed a couple cold ones from the cooler, and headed back across the flooded roadway. Out and back with no problems.

It was a really good visit to Boundary Peak. Thanks Sue.

Pictures will follow.

:cool:

Last edited:
Thanks Earl, that brings back fond memories of our first trip there in 1990 from Canada Rd via Whitecap. The terrain from Whitecap to the 3K boundary peak 3527 was open but filled with slash. Dennison Bog was very wet, and all the promising old roads on the descent from Monument 446 were heading in the wrong direction. Good times!

Hi Earl, I have been following your trip reports for the past few weeks. We are hoping to do Snow (Cup), White Cap and Ken Divide and then Boundary peak next weekend(9/15-9/16).
We then have reservations for Baxter SP and hope to finish our list on Fort. It's nice to know some one is out there keeping the herd paths open. We also loved your report on the Traveler
Loop from last year that we hope to hike that after finishing the NEHH list. Keep hiking, Mike D.

Thanks Earl, that brings back fond memories of our first trip there in 1990 from Canada Rd via Whitecap. The terrain from Whitecap to the 3K boundary peak 3527 was open but filled with slash. Dennison Bog was very wet, and all the promising old roads on the descent from Monument 446 were heading in the wrong direction. Good times!
Thanks Audrey,

I guess the area was more open when you were first there. Reports indicated the place was harvested around that time. Is that the case? I assume Bear Brook Road didn’t exist at that time?

Once in a while I find myself looking at photo albums from earlier hikes, which lead to reading my Hiking Log.

Yeah, good times.

(some are better than others - but they’re all good)

:D

Hi Earl, I have been following your trip reports for the past few weeks. We are hoping to do Snow (Cup), White Cap and Ken Divide and then Boundary peak next weekend(9/15-9/16).
We then have reservations for Baxter SP and hope to finish our list on Fort. It's nice to know some one is out there keeping the herd paths open. We also loved your report on the Traveler
Loop from last year that we hope to hike that after finishing the NEHH list. Keep hiking, Mike D.
Thanks Mike,

Looks like a good trip to me. Have a great time. I hope you have cooperative weather conditions.

How are you planning to approach Boundary Peak? With those dates you’ll be almost two weeks ahead of Quebec Zone 4 moose season (archery). The season dates in Zec Louise-Gosford are the same as the provincial dates.

Have a fun hike to Fort.

Good luck with everything.

;)

Nice TR:) Dennison Bog must have been uneventful.
In general terms the place is very dry – that’s no big surprise. We never had a mud or water problem anywhere along the boundary swath.

Down at pond level the truck got to go swimming for roughly fifty yards thanks to beaver activities, but that wasn’t a big deal either. We could see where the road went into the water, where it emerged, and assumed a straight line between the two points would work.

:rolleyes:

………
Earl/Sue, nice job on getting this the second time, as well as Elephant and Cup Snow! Hope our paths cross very soon.

Marty
Thanks Marty,

It’s always a treat to hike together with you; unfortunately it doesn’t happen often enough.

Soon, I hope.

:)