Grafton Loop (East)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwind

Reaction score
Been meaning to do this for quite some time and thanks to vegematic, my car was waiting for us right where it needed to be :)

I don't have time to format the TR for the forums so you'll have to go here

Looks like a great trip! What amentities were at the Knoll campsite? On the west side I had a privy and a bear box but heard that some of the east sites were more primitive.

I'm glad all four of you made it safely over the "IcePates".
-vegematic

Nice report!

I noticed you wrote that you thought the bogs were unusual at such a high altitude. Those bogs, as you probably know, are pretty common on the Mahoosuc Range to the south. They've probably formed due to the cold and the abundant precipitation that quickly saturates any soil. It slows decomposition so you just end up with collections of peat (not-quite-rotted plant matter) in little bedrock depressions.

Anyway, the upshot is that while these areas are rare because the alpine/sub-alpine zone is small, the fact that they are at higher elevations isn't that unusual ecologically.

Great report. It would be questionable for me at this time of year but it sounds like a great summer/fall hike. How difficult was it for your dogs on East Baldpate? I saw the one picture of you helping Kayden up - was there a lot of that?

Also, Did you use stablicers or crampons?

cgarby said:
Great report. It would be questionable for me at this time of year but it sounds like a great summer/fall hike. How difficult was it for your dogs on East Baldpate? I saw the one picture of you helping Kayden up - was there a lot of that?

Also, Did you use stablicers or crampons?

I'm quite familiar with Balpate and Puzzle. I was confident that once we got over East BP that the going would get a lot easier. I would recommend stabilicers for the Baldpate though not need the rest of the trail (right now).

The dogs did great. Kayden has been hiking, biking and skiing with me since she was a pup so she's pretty adept at that sort of thing and make intelligent decisions. The were fine on the face of BP actually. There were a few other places that were a little interesting. Namely, the rebar ladder pic and a another wood ladder between the BP peaks. She trusts me when I sort of hold/help her down though.

And about the bogs... I have come across a few in the Grafton area. I realize they are quite common now. I just find them so fascinating.