Grafton loop western side

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowmo68

Reaction score
I was hiking in Grafton Notch yesterday and noticed that the new sign for the western half of the Grafton loop trail had been removed. I was planning a hike to Sunday River Whitecap via Grafton loop and was wondering if there has been a problem with access from route 26? I parked along the road and walked down into the field but didn't see any trail blazes or signs, there was many paths exiting the back of the field though. I am looking for a trail map with distances and camp sites. The eastern side had a kiosk with maps and also had a dedicated page on the MATC website. I know this trail was scheduled to open on June 3rd so maybe the maps are still to come. If anyone has some info it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Chris

I can't help you with trail info from ME 26. However, the two photos of this sign show new trail signs on the summit of Old Speck indicating the Grafton Loop Trail does exist. It is also clearly marked off the summit. These photos were taken on Wed. June 7, 2006, mid-day. See link.

Last edited:
Thanks Aaron
The picture with the new sign gave me the distances I was looking for. Looks like a 15.2 mile round trip from route 26 to Sunday River White cap and back. The spot where the sign was on route 26 is a very confusing area along the Bear river, looks to be a family owned picnic spot out back of the field with snowmobile and ATV and tractor trails going every direction possible. Maybe the new trail head was relocated? I know somebody on this forum holds the answer. Thanks again Aaron for trail distances.
Chris

slowmo68 said:
The spot where the sign was on route 26 is a very confusing area along the Bear river, looks to be a family owned picnic spot out back of the field with snowmobile and ATV and tractor trails going every direction possible. Maybe the new trail head was relocated? I know somebody on this forum holds the answer. Thanks again Aaron for trail distances.
Chris

Go back to your 3-28-2006 thread on this subject to see my picture of what the sign on the south & west side of Rt 26 looks (looked?) like in fall, 2005. Is this the one that you think was removed or relocated?

Thanks Waumbek
Yes that is the sign that is missing. I was just there yesterday hoping there would be a kiosk with maps like the eastern side has. The sign is definately gone.

Thanks
Chris

Some landowner issues remain

To the best of my knowledge the entire Loop was to open officially on National Trails Day at the start of June, but issues with a landowner prevented this from happening. Perhaps this is the reason the sign has been removed?

TJ aka Teej

That's right, TJ. An article in the Lewiston Sun Journal on June 1 stated that "landowner agreements are not in place for some sections of the trail on the west side of Rt. 26". (the new section) . The trail work is complete, and the sign had been put up, but was going to be taken down to prevent people from using a closed trail. The eastern side is still open, however. It was hoped that the agreements would be in place by mid-summer, according to the article.

MATC has posted this information on the delayed opening of the GLT West. Bottom line: they're still hoping to open it in 2006.

[start quote]WEST SIDE REMAINS CLOSED
Regarding the premature May 2006 Backpacker article about the west side of the Grafton Loop Trail, Landon Fake, of the Grafton Loop Trail Coalition, wrote in a July 3 e-mail:
The western section of the Grafton Loop Trail (west of Route 26) is not yet open. The Grafton Loop Trail Coalition planned to have it open this spring, and, to that extent, the Backpacker article was correct. While the article was going to press, the land ownership/expected land ownership map changed, and one of the main landowners has denied us access to a large parcel that the trail is built on.
We expect this to be resolved (hopefully this summer) by two eventualities: a Congressional appropriations bill that still needs to be worked out between House and Senate; a deal negotiated between the landowner and the Trust for Public land.
Until this happens, we cannot access the trail or complete the final signage and blazing that needs to be accomplished to open the trail. The Coalition and its partners will issue an announcement when the trail is available for public use. We regret our inability to meet user and funder expectations for the trail.
The instability of land ownership in the area has reached a level not imagined when we started the project 10 years ago. The Coalition runs largely on volunteer effort (even our paid consultants and trail manager have had to forgo payment). This sometimes means we are not as nimble and communicative as we would like to be. It is still our expectation that the whole trail will be opened this year.
The eastern section of the Grafton Loop Trail is open for use and may be accessed via the Grafton Loop trailhead on Rt. 26 or the Appalachian Trail Parking Lot in Grafton Notch State Park.
Signs regarding the closed western section are posted at the kiosks at the trailheads.

Landon
Landon Fake
Atlantic Region Program Director
Outward Bound Wilderness
125 Outward Bound Road
Newry ME 04261
207-824-3152 ext. 465
[email protected] [end quote]

For those who have managed to hike this section of the GLT, how close does the trail get to the true highpoints of Sunday River White Cap and Slide?

The trail climbs to within 150 vert. or so of the Sunday River Whitecap summit, but appears to skirt the north side of Slide at a low elevation.

The trail goes right over the summit of Sunday River Whitecap.

It doesn't even come close to the summit of Slide, although for a bushwhacker, it's a not a challenge to get up to the summit of Slide from the height of land (of the trail) in Miles Notch.

As I was planning to lead a one-night backpack on the western half this coming weekend, I've received numerous emails from various folks requesting we stay off of it b/c of the pending landowner issues.