Grafton Loop (Western side) ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowmo68

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the status is on the western loop of the Grafton loop trail. Back in July we discussed it here and at the time there was landowner issues and talks of congrssional appropriations bills to be worked out between the house and senate.I have not seen the sign put back in place so I am assuming it has not been resolved. I hope they can resolve this by next summer. Is there anything any of us can do (calls to government etc,etc). I think in the original article I had read stated this trail would be open in 2005 and then in Backpacker they said it would be open on National Trails day last June. I have heard no news at all on this since July and am concerned about it not being opened for next summer.

slowmo68 said:
Does anyone know what the status is on the western loop of the Grafton loop trail. Back in July we discussed it here and at the time there was landowner issues and talks of congrssional appropriations bills to be worked out between the house and senate.

MATC is still officially reporting that the situation is status quo, i.e., unresolved. I don't know what's going on behind the scenes.

The Mahoosuc land trust people may know whats going on more than the MATC. Seems awful quiet on this issue and that worries me. Wish there was something we could do to help.

The issue holding this up is one of land ownership. Basically, a timber company was going to allow the land to have a trail built on it but then, the company was bought and the new landowner wants to be compensated for the land.

Due to the fact that this land would not be easily accessed for logging purposes, the area in question is not really at risk. From what I understand the trail has been cut but has not been officially opened yet. They are hoping to get this issue resolved for next year.

Thank you Double Bow. The trail makers have already had to construct new trail at the Eastern loop end near Puzzle Mnt due to developement and it's good to hear that this might not be the case for the Western half. As much as I don't like major logging operations at least they are a semi permanent situation compared to the finalaty of developement.
Thanks