Grivel 10 Crampon size question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guildhall

Reaction score
Hi, I'm thinking of ordering a pair of G10's off of ebay. They appear to come with the standard size flex bar. Would these fit a size 13 boot? Any experience from owners?

Many thanks!

Depends on the boot style, I have the regular G10 and they fit a size 10 regular boot but not a Mouse boot

My G10s', mine are the same size 10 irish setter hunting boots and my ski-doo sledding boots, have tried both for fit and they work, however the crampon is at its longest so id say no by what I know . Not sure about any other boots/styles.

Thanks for the input. Grivel claims they fit up to a size 14 but from the reviews I gather, this is optimistic at best.

I have the Koflach Degre size 12 that just fit my Grivels on the last hole of the flex bar. I’ve talked with others who have smaller boots, but for some reason they cannot use their Grivels with the standard ridged bar. I guess I bought the magical Grivels.

Same here...size 13 wearing columbia boot....use the extension bar.....don't know which hole but it's almost at the end....I use locking nut on it......i don't carry extra bars, maybe one day i'll order a few..think it cost $20 a few years ago...

I wear a size 13 Columbia Ice Dragon II under my G10s and with the EXTENDED BAR I'm at the 2nd to last hole. They will not fit the standard bar.

Tim

I have some Sorel men's size 11 boots... and the standard G10 bar won't fit them! On the advice of VFTT I picked up the EXTENDED BAR at Keene Valley's Mountaineer, and the G10's now fit fine.

I’ve talked with others who have smaller boots, but for some reason they cannot use their Grivels with the standard ridged bar. I guess I bought the magical Grivels.

I tried the boyfriend's G12 on my LaSportiva 38 and it didn't work because the bar is too long. Maybe I can buy a shorter bar ?

I found this on their (bad) website :

Long Bar - Art. RB097.14
A new regulation long bar (190 mm) that makes changing from one size to a smaller one easy, by simply turning the bar over. The retaining tooth, on touching the crampon, automatically reduces the size offering extremely quick fitting with no tools. Remember that the right crampon becomes the left and visa versa.

There are two issues with G10 compatibility: width/height of the toe piece and length. Grivel used to see a G10W (wide) which I bought and still use. I haven't seen it advertised recently. It is better for larger toed boots so you can pull up the toe loop farther.

The longer flex bar solves the length problem. The older bars did not flex and were much less comfortable.