Hale, Zealand & the Bonds, solo in winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Skimom,

I did the same hike last year and according to my notes I came up with 25.5 Miles, 5,800 Feet, which included the road walk from the snowmobile lot back to Zealand Road. I think there was also a .1 each way to/from the hut (my memory is a little foggy due to age, I'm sure).

This information was based on the White Mountain Guide.

Last edited:
skimom said:
I added up about 24.5miles.

Does anyone know (or can easily figure out) the elevation gain?

According to TOPO 4.0, it is 22.5 miles, and +5484 feet - 5762 feet = net -278 feet elevation. See attached... Note: TOPO always underestimates the distance, depending on how closely you trace the lines, etc.

Tim

Congratulations!!!

After reading your report I was surprised @ how GREAT! the pictures are :)

I was fortunate to have done this route a couple winters ago solo, and it makes it a lot more intense and satisfying. What a wonderful area for sure! I had snow which I'm guessing made it easier than for you(?).

Thanks sooo much for sharing and once again Congratulations!!!

I hiked the Kinsmans yesterday (only 11.5 mi and I'm still beat today!) with Poison Ivy, and she mentioned reading your TR, so I had to see for myself.

I'm so impressed that you covered all that ground solo, and your photos are absolutely stunning. Obviously you get along with your cameras well enough (if not for long)! ;)

On the subject of taking pictures without a tripod....someone I hiked with recently had a hiking pole with a handle that could be easily unscrewed by hand, leaving an exposed "bolt" that fit right into the threaded hole on the bottom of my camera. This allowed everyone to get into the shot, using the camera's self-timer feature. The only trick, then, is to find a place to prop up the pole, which should be easy if there's snow. I wish I could remember the brand of pole....

RLC said:
On the subject of taking pictures without a tripod....someone I hiked with recently had a hiking pole with a handle that could be easily unscrewed by hand, leaving an exposed "bolt" that fit right into the threaded hole on the bottom of my camera. This allowed everyone to get into the shot, using the camera's self-timer feature. The only trick, then, is to find a place to prop up the pole, which should be easy if there's snow. I wish I could remember the brand of pole....

Leki makes one that many people throw their own brand onto. I have one but never use it as it's heavier than the regular hiking poles.