Happy Fourth

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grumpy

Reaction score
Happy Fourth of July -- Independence Day -- to all you fellow VFTTers who celebrate and revel in this special American holiday!

And for those who don't, well, I just wish you an extraordinarily nice "regular" day.

G.

Big fireworks tomorrow night. :)

Of course tonight I've just been listening to the banging and popping of the ones in close by townships. Can't see anything though...

Spent my Fourth doing Pamola, the Knife Edge and Baxter with a little American flag taped to my pack. The Edge beats any fireworks I've ever seen. Hot damn!

A couple years ago we were all home on the 4th for the first time in many years so I researched peakbagging lists and old calendars to find out where we'd been on that occasion each year. It was fun to look back at the times we finished our hikes and made it to "town" to watch the festivities. At other times we watched fireworks on the horizon from some distant peak.

This memory comes under the heading, "A bad day in the mountains is better ..."

Probably our most amusing fourth was when we got a blowout enroute Baxter Park to Greenville on the gravel surfaced Golden Road, about 30 miles out of town. It being a rental, the spare was flat, too! Fortunately, we were in a caravan of two and my friend Lou took the ladies to the Inn and brought my tire to the only open garage in the county ... which just happened to be in the middle of the parade route ... and was closed off to vehicles.

So Lou walked the tire to the garage and, at the insistence of the duty mechanic, joined him in watching the parade ... while we waited 30 miles back. Finally, being a bit bored by the fire trucks I guess, the mechanic fixed the flat and Lou was ready to go ... except, his car was at the other end of town and there was still a parade going by.

Well, Lou could do only one thing and he did it with great spirit. He got in the parade and rolled the tire down the street. Claims to have received a bigger applause than anything else in the parade.

So you might ask, why was this so amusing while we were waiting 30 miles away? Well, for one thing 15 out of the 16 cars that went by during that three hours or so offerred us help (the 16th was with a cute young thing that didn't look like she was his wife). For another thing a forest ranger also stopped by and pointed out a good fishing spot, a good tentsite if we needed one, and noted that we seemed pretty well equipped for survival. He had noticed our gear, emptied out of the back of the SUV to get at that deflated spare tire, which among other things included a bag of chocolate chip cookies and a big bright full smiling bottle of tequila.

Re: Happy Sunday

Pete_Hickey said:
I had to celebrate my fourth on the first.

Hey Pete,

Being Canadian, the first is your fourth.
Or should that be "your first is their fourth" :)
OK I'll stop rambling now.
Hope everyone had a good celebration!

Next year I'm going to merry ole England for the 4th. They say the fireworks over there are beautiful. I'm going with Mrs. Robo.;)

Was anyone else happy to see the cornerstone of the new Freedom Tower laid on July 4th was Adirondack Granite ????

( BTW - no intent to diss those from the Granite State)

KZ:D