Has anyone tried the LL Bean Ascent?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stash

Reaction score
I'm looking at replacing my old EMS immitation GoreTex rain shell. The Bean outlet has quite a few of their GoreTex Ascent for $199 (maybe less?). Black only.

It looks pretty good but I find minimal write-ups.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/70911?feat=593-GN1

Has anyone got any experience with it? Will it hold up? Plan to wear it for just about anything as I did with the old EMS, layering fleece or down under it as needed.

I think that's what my friend Brian wears, and if it is, he loves it. He waited a while before he bought it because he could never find it on sale.

Thanks Ellen.

I picked one up but it's lighter than the one on the site (walked across the street after I bought it and compared). And it retails for "only" $299. Maybe last year's model? Got it for $159 at the outlet but it still has the guarantee so I figure it's worth a try.

A few rain walks so far and quite nice but time will tell.

Thanks Ellen.

I picked one up but it's lighter than the one on the site (walked across the street after I bought it and compared). And it retails for "only" $299. Maybe last year's model? Got it for $159 at the outlet but it still has the guarantee so I figure it's worth a try.

A few rain walks so far and quite nice but time will tell.

I spoke to Brian about his jacket, and it is the same as the one you just purchased. He also has an older model which is thicker material and seems warmer. He likes that it is light weight and is a good outer layer. The regular price is high, on sale price about right.

As an aside, if you have a discover card, you can use cashback dollars to buy LLbean gift cards at 20% off.

I just purchased the woman's model Ascent in an XL size. The price had dropped to $179 and I think i know why. The XL does not allow for any real layering underneath. A ted shirt but not a tee and wamer layer. I had hoped to try a men's large, and put on Brian's XL as a guide, but they don't have them for $179. It appears their styling has changed and so has the price -- $349. I won't pay that!