Have You Ever Defended Hiking?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just don't talk about hiking with people who don't hike. When they ask what I did over the weekend or why I wasn't at work yesterday I generally tell them that I had knee surgery.

-Dr. Wu

Maybe it's just the people I surround myself with but I've never had anyone look at me funny when I say I've been hiking or am planning on going hiking. Most people I talk to show interest in the mountains and often want to come along with me the next time I'm out.

As for "people not getting it"... I think this statement is a bit elitist sounding. Hiking is not for everyone. I'm sure there are many things hikers "don't get" as well.

My 2 cents.

edited to add: In the context of someone making assumptions on hiking on an internet forum, I wouldn't worry about it... as others have said they're probably just trying to get under your skin.

Last edited:
Having hiked to the top of Mount Washington pretty early one morning, I ran into a young guy in street clothes who had driven up with his family. It was cold, windy and pretty cloudy. He looked around and actually said "I don't get it." I thought about trying to explain that it is better if you walk up, but decided to just smile. I have a picture on him and my hiking buddies posing by the sign at the summit. It is one of my favorite pictures.

Another time, I was running up the trail on Cadillac Mountain, and come across these two good old boys who were wandering down from the parking lot. One of them took one look at me and said "son, you ain't right." I thought about it for a split second and agreed, saying, "nope, I guess I'm not" and continued up the trail.

I never defend hiking, except to really close friend who I think would actually enjoy it. Then I bug the heck out of them!

From above post "I'm sure there are many things hikers "don't get" as well."

I don't get new cars, Seems to me just about anyone I know who is into (seriously life style level) climbing, hiking, paddling, skiing does not have a new SUV as the TV ads portray.

Don't even want a new car, but want a new winter sleeping bag, Crampons for new boots, New ABS canoe for next spring (destroyed last one over 5 years/3000 miles), new fully suspended mountain bike to replace 13 year old proflex, serious back country ski (existing 3/4 edge so called BC skis are really only a touring ski IMO), new gators...

Add it all up and it costs near what a new car would!

Now I get why I don’t get new cars.

Some of the family views me with a raised eyebrow, I will live with that. No use trying to explain or defend, ether your into it or your not. But you do have to try, before you can criticise I would think.

Last edited:
I can't, but WE can

I have had similar experiences defending my personal activities to spouse, non-hiking friends and family. Not a big deal.
I could care less about trying to promote it to non-hiker mentalities as well.
Although some Youth programs have excellent results reaching out to those whom would never consider hiking on their own.

Generally speaking, the hiking community really has not had to seriously defend the “right to hike” in the legal sense such as widespread trail access.
However, outdoor clubs, like the AMC and Sierra Club, play a key role to represent the outdoor community and address issues to prevent or correct future problems.
“Activists” we are called according to the Government.

I have had other outdoor sports related defenses required, which include Windsurfing and Iceboating. In both cases, organized and affiliated groups were able to thwart access problems and maintain a solid, respectable and responsible presence.

Local government always tends to listen to organized groups rather than accept an individuals right to do something.

Hiking is not radical, so I suspect it has stood the test of time as simple and harmless outdoor activity.

Support your local clubs so that it stays that way!

Brownie

I get some flak also. Mostly at work when I tell people I'm taking a half a day on Friday or something. Most of what I got is "Why do you wanna walk around in the woods? Different people enjoy different things, but it's the childish ones that think all hikers are pot heads. Really.... I doubt I would EVER climb or even attempt to climb Mt. Washington, or any other mountain for that matter after smoking pot. :eek:

Never had to defend it. That seems like a waste of energy. For example the guy in the original post isn't worth my time. Occasionally I get a "your nuts" or something similiar especially when talking winter hiking but when I send my pictures to friends and family I detect a bit of envy. Not that they want to get out there hiking but that I get to see so many beautiful places.

Being in my mid 40's I don't need to defend hiking at all...... any time I run into anyone from high school or college they all tell me I look great. I certainly do in comparison to most people my age. My habits of walking, hiking, swimming, and exploring have served me well and probably will continue to so for many years.

Hiking and being outdoors is a spiritual need for me, a direct experience of the divine, so to speak, although putting this into words is an inadequate expression....... no need to defend what you love to those that can not appreciate it's beauty. It's like trying to teach a pig to sing - you will only waste your time and end up irritating yourself and the pig.

If people don't "get it" well too bad, that's fine by me. There are a lot of things in our society that I don't get or am not interested in being enslaved to like fashion, daytime television, talk radio, hype, hyperconsumerism, etc.

Last edited:
the thing that pisses me off is when couch potatoes lecture me (co-workers are the best for this) about how hiking/climbing is being neglectful and to the family. I got alot of this prior to heading to rainier this year. I just tell them to go take a poopsquat

I find it hard to defend hiking with the crazy redneck hunters in my part of the state that makes hiking in october-november very dangerous (See that thing movin' over thar Junior! I dont know what it is but shoot it!) They say hunting is the "one true outdoor sport." So sad.

giggy said:
the thing that pisses me off is when couch potatoes lecture me (co-workers are the best for this) about how hiking/climbing is being neglectful and to the family. I got alot of this prior to heading to rainier this year. I just tell them to go take a poopsquat

Makes me Glad I am single and do not have kids . If I did have a wife and kids you can be damn sure they would be hiking at some level or at least real camping at a placeW/O eletric hook ups and all the amenties of home. Showers are good though.
Maybe I just was ment to hike and climb . I really could care less if some thinks I am nuts or that going to Aspen / Snowmanss alot is a waste of money fine with me. I wish more felt that way !
But most people just say I wish I could do that. I just smile and say you can . I do not say well I am glad all thease people are not out where I am though I do want to ( I am not selfish though and if they did take up hiking i guess it would be good as they would want to protect the places we love . . Nor do I say it really is not all that hard to do .
I do like it when they look at my photos and compliments me .
If only I could find a woman who enjoys what I do and can both camp out and stay in a nice olace to hike . ( maybe it is the getting up early in the AM part ) who would join me in my CO and NH hiking and climbing then I would really not care at all .
At the same time I am sure many of us do not "get" things others enjoy
I do not even "get" Baseball and watching it . to each thire own .
OK I am a die hard Pats and a Broncos fan also .

Defend it more to co-workers, friends & family, especially the hiking alone between October & April, have not hear the hippie comments much

More people get it now than before, more people in local areas, rail trails, State Parks, etc.

I'm glad you're filling up too, I'm sure my 401K has oil stocks in it & I work for one of the 3 richest men in America, he owns (or used to) a lot of Gillette Stock too. :D Glad I do get it as my kids are going to be in the house this winter in fleece.....

Neil said:
Speaking of which...check out paragraph 5.

http://www.prfamerica.org/OpposeDEC-ATV-Plan.html

See what I mean! :eek:
Threats like this are the frontline for defense for your right to use natural resources.
Only organized groups will be heard.
ATV's have a right too, but when one activist group fires on another...the Gov just shuts it down to all.
Everyone looses.
This is a dangerous reality according to that local info, absurd as it was.

mommabear said:
I kind of like my loose screws. I think they're one of the best things about me. :)

Hey, I resemble that remark! *grin* I have been called crazy for hiking mountains, bicycling cross country, and walking 8 miles roundtrip for breakfast, but fortunately there are other "crazy" people out there too, and just as misery loves company, so does insanity. Actually one of my favorite sayings is, "I'm not suffering from insanity; I'm enjoying every second of it!"

Roxi

injektilo said:
I'm so excited! My first red square!! Thanks to whoever gave it to me :D

I got one too! I got a 'red square' for my 'redneck' comment. Maybe my benefactor will be kind enough to give me another! :)

Hippies, Pot smoking............................who brings the chips and salsa???? :D

Yip Ive had it many times. Back two years ago when I worked for a guy who installed flooring we took a week off. He went down to FL, blew a bunch of money, went to Disney the whole nine yards.

When we went back to work he asked me what I did during my vaycay to which I repiled" I camped at Deer Run campground in Coos, climbed Mt. Washington, Liberty and Flume. Then had two quick blasts up Cardigan.

To which he replied(mind you he is quite TUBBY)............THATS IT!!!!!!!!!

Doing what I did in that week to him was like saying " ya uhhhh I invested in a few 30 packs of beer"

Damn I loathe the lazy(and laugh at them tooooooooo) :D :D