Haystack + Basin = 42

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yvon

Reaction score
Thursday September 13 the forecast for Saturday rain, and sun for Sunday, so we decided that we will hiked Haystack and Basin Sunday. We will sleep in Upper Jay Saturday to start early at the Garden parking on Sunday morning.
Saturday, almost all day I had a fever. Annie, told me that she had fever too. We left home Saturday afternoon, even with this fever. Telling me, that I will feel better tomorrow morning. After a good night of sleep, I feel better the next morning, and Annie's too.
We arrived at Garden, and we were ready to leave at 6.15h. At the beginning we had to used our head lamp, because the sun was not up already.
We did the first portion of the path rather quickly. Arrived at Range Trail we already reached 4100 feet, and our speed was good. We reach Little Haystack quickly, a small portion of this path is steep, but not too bad for us. While we going up on the last part, we see the first signs which the winter is coming soon. The trees and Cairns have ice on it and we see our first icicle and we had icy surface on the rock. It was not bad, but too early for me.
After a few photos, we continue towards the third highest summits of the ADK and our #41 of the 46er list. We leave our bags at the bottom and start to ascent quickly to the summit of Haystack. WOW!!! What a view we have up there, one of most beautiful to date I had seen. I take several pictures and we returned to the intersection towards to Basin.
Once we start that portion, we start to feel tired. Annie does not seem to appreciate this moment, but it nevertheless decides to continue and to go until complete our project of the day. We reach finally Basin, after a long descent and a difficult ascent, because of our state. We are tired and it is probably the fever of yesterday which took our resistance to us. Finally, Basin our #42, superb place to observe several of the highest Peak of the ADK.
Today, the paths are damp and at several places we have mud, but it is not too difficult to cross.
We return by Shorey Shorts cut towards to the Phelps Trail. A narrow path, in a few places, with steep sections and we had to ascent and after descent. When you are tired it is not a scenario necessarily envisaged.
Arrived at Phelps Trail, our speed is faster since the path is more flat.
With 1.5 miles of JBL, walking fast to Garden, I heard, and Annie's too, GRRRR!!! Very clearly with deep and big sound. It was just beside the path. I did not see it, but I think it was bear. We did not stop and we did not want to stop.
Scary!!!!
The last portion towards the car was long but, while discussing time passed more quickly. The last hour was in the darkness and done with our head lamp. There were two guy in front of us who did not have a head lamp and they were benefited our light. Only one had a flashlight!!!!????.
We were back to the car, at 8.15h, the longest excursion on date, 18 miles, 14 hours.
Tired, but we had achieved our two summits goal for the day.
We arrive at the house towards 11.15h and with went to bed at 00.00h.
The next morning, a few hours latter our bodies was painful and the day was very long.

Rock on, you two! Seems like we are always paralleling eachother this summer!

Have you got pics up yet, Yvon?

I am hoping to be at ADK No 40 this thursday with the Dixes.

You are both ready for Everest!
:)

una_dogger said:
Rock on, you two! Seems like we are always paralleling eachother this summer!
Thats true
una_dogger said:
Have you got pics up yet, Yvon?
I am working on it now, maybe tomorrow.
una_dogger said:
I am hoping to be at ADK No 40 this thursday with the Dixes.
Happy for you, Sabrina
una_dogger said:
You are both ready for Everest!
YES!

the pictures are wonderful- Karl and I have now decided that we'll visit Haystack and/or Basin next weekend( working this weekend :mad: but what can you do?? you've inspired us.

the GRRR must certainly have gotten you moving at the end, no matter how tired you are- but not the waty you want to finish. But you've both alright, and that's what counts.

what do you have left on your 46er list? will they be before or after everest?

Ronni said:
the pictures are wonderful- Karl and I have now decided that we'll visit Haystack and/or Basin next weekend( working this weekend :mad: but what can you do?? you've inspired us.

the GRRR must certainly have gotten you moving at the end, no matter how tired you are- but not the waty you want to finish. But you've both alright, and that's what counts.

what do you have left on your 46er list? will they be before or after everest?

We have, Allen, Seymour, Marshall and Dix for the finish. It was a nice day, sunday to be on those summits. Good that my TR and my pics have inspired you both.

Awesome slideshow, Yvon. What beautiful weather you had for the summits. Thanks for providing all of those pictures of the terrain. I am hoping for Saddleback and Basin the weekend after next.

Great picture and trail report Yvon. I went many times on Haystacks
and that's one of the best view in the Daks with Skylight-Marcy-Dix. :)

Do you plan on finishing on Dix!

Rejean said:
Great picture and trail report Yvon. I went many times on Haystacks
and that's one of the best view in the Daks with Skylight-Marcy-Dix. :)

Do you plan on finishing on Dix!

Thank you Réjean.
Yes, we will finished on Dix. But we did not plan the date yet. We will see, we will be back in ADK in november.