Haystack-Basin-Saddleback for 46

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillman1

Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was going in to hike haystack and basin for my grand finale, and I was fortunate enough to have the company of ALG, Mavs00, adkatie, everestnbd, marcygirl, peakbgr, bushwacker, and Jenn(who doesn't have a screen name yet...). The day started early for jen and I, because I forgot to pack my tent, which really made her day, because she got to sleep under a tarp in the rain, so we got up pretty early. The morning was beautiful as everyone got ready for the hike ahead, and the skies were pretty blue, as we hoped for the 40% chance of showers to not rain on our "parade"(I'll get back to that part in a minute). Jen and Ashley hit it off right away, and Jen was absolutely delighted to have her own personal mountain guide for the trip. I'm pretty sure that jen had one of the greatest days of her life on that hike , just as a little side note for everyone that helped make that happen. Back to the hike though, we all took a little break at JBL, and peakbgr and bushwacker showed up, to join in. What great company this day was turning out to have for me. So we all began our adventure right there, by the steps of the lodge. The hike up to haystack was great, the trail was in great shape(except for the boyscout troop leader sucking down a few marlboros at a stream crossing), and we made excellent time to the open summit of Haystack. What an incredible peak. The views were endless in every direction, and we enjoyed a little break on the summit, and took tons of pictures. This was also Jens first time above tree line, and what a peak for that experience, the views of Marcy were awe inspiring. This was also the first hint of what lay ahead for our group, as we could see some rain way off in the distance. Then began our journey to Basin. What a hike. I was about to finish something that I started in 1997, and I was finally finishing. The climb up Basin was great, lots of rock, and one little incident with Nick that had me a little scared, when a tree broke free with an island of dirt on one of the climb sections. Spencer held it in place while Nick cleared the rock section, then the rest of the group went around it. Alg did his first trail maintenance as a 46er, as he cleared the new found dangerous obstacle from the trail, and the hazard now lies safely below the pitch on the side of the trail. We all met up at the ladder below the summit, and that is when the weather started to get a bit interesting. Thunder was sounding off in the distance, well the near kind of distance, and everyone went up, as it was the only real choice at that point. Well, the rain hit pretty hard, and very cold, and lightning bolts were blasting the summit of haystack(a little close for comfort) and my summit celebration consisted of spencer keeping jen from having a heart attack(she was a little bit scared) and me and Alg literally running over the summit to get in the trees. We all met up in the col, and handshakes and congratulations were gladly accepted by me for finishing up the 46. What a memorable 46th peak. Our adventure was far from over, as we still had to climb saddleback. That was pretty neat, with some actual sections where you do not want to look down, or think about falling. The kids went up like they had a little mountain goat in them, and jen made pretty light work of the section too. Actually, everyone did really good there, I don't know if I was the only one feeling a little fear, but it was a bit scarey in spots. The summit of Saddleback proved to be the backdrop for the I'm a 46er sign to be broken out(thanks Bob), as we soaked in the incredible views of the mountain that just scared the tar out of most of us. I have to say, Spencer handled the lightning like it wasn't even happening(he then relayed a very interesting lightning story to Jen and I). The hike out was fantastic, and we spotted some deer, and quite a few people camping for the night--some were right on the stream, and others had a fire. We let them bask in thier ignorance, as we were there to enjoy our day. The hike out soon turned to night, and this was also a first for jen, as she had never hiked by headlamp--she thought a bear would walk right up to her and eat her--I capitalized on that moment by hiking ahead of her a bit, and hid in some bushes...I imagine people heard that scream all the way back to JBL...that was a dirty trick , that was immediately reproduced by spencer--way to go. I know I'm leaving alot out, but I need to go and unload potting soil now, I wish I was back in the mountains. Looking forward to the gathering in August, and a certain families 46 on whiteface in September--I had a truly great time, and I would like to thank each and every one of you for coming along on the trip.

Memorable indeed.

Congratulations again.

Thanks for the invitation and I know I speak for Katie, Nicholas and Ashley, when I tell you what a privledge and honor it was to "run" over your 46 summit with you guys at Basin. :)

See you in September (hopefully)

Last edited:
I must admit, I've never had so much fun in fifteen hours of hiking before. It was a great pleasure to meet and see once again so many wonderful people, hope we can do it again real soon.

WAY TO GO! Sounds like a great day from start to finish.

Hillman, for the record, Basin is a great peak. Make it early on your redo list on a nice day. Congrats on the awesome finish with some pretty great trail companions. You'll always remember this one!

Our photos of this amazing day are online - HERE -

You'll notice a small lag in photos around Basin, sorry but I was so busy watching the pretty zig zagging lights all around me, I forgot to snap a few shots. :cool:

Last edited:
Special congratulations to you, Doug!

And it was an honor to be with you to share "the moment", and what a fleeting moment it was!

It was so nice to meet such a great group of people, all five of you I can now call "friend" and it truly was a pleasure.

Keep on basking in your Basin 46er high. Sign me up when you decide to redo Basin. :) I never turned around to see the view, my eyes were fixed firmly on the trail ahead and the visions of my life passing before my eyes...

ADKatie

Congratulations Hillman!!!!

Did you hear us whooping and hollaring from the top of Allen? I thought of all you guys when we finished and was hoping that you, too, were able to finish in spite of the passing storms.

Way to go!!!

Congratulations fellow 46'R!!!

That storm must have come up fast, what time did it hit?

- we took some great pictures of Haystack and Panther Gorge from Allen at about 2pm and then began to hear thunder in the distance. The rain hit us just as we were crossing Skylight Brook on the way out, but it only rained for about 5 minutes.

KZ

Doug, Thanks for hanging back and RUNNING across your 46th peak with me! I'm glad that the trekking poles sticking out of your pack (AKA "lightning rods") didn't attract any unwanted attention from Mother Nature. At least we could celebrate in the col, and on the summit of Saddleback. That was some climb! We have to go back up Haystack and Basin sometime, when we can linger a while. Next stop: Catskills and MacNaughton!

Sherpa and myself were on Marcy and saw the hillman train going up Haystack. We thought it was your group - congratulations! We then went for Skylight and left the summit just 2 minutes before first thunder and lightning hit right over us.

ADK4487 said:
Sherpa and myself were on Marcy and saw the hillman train going up Haystack. We thought it was your group - congratulations! We then went for Skylight and left the summit just 2 minutes before first thunder and lightning hit right over us.

If there were two significantly smaller "ants" racing ahead of the group to reach the summit (with one bigger ant yelling at them to "slow down and be careful") :rolleyes: . Then YUP, that was us, the Hillman party.

We saw lots of people up on Marcy but had no idea any of them, were you guys (for some reason we were waving towards Cliff at you :confused: ). I know that some were stuck on top of Marcy when the storm came in about 2:30-3PM. we were high on the western side of Basin and the Storm appeared to be centered over Haystack and Marcy (at least we saw lighting strike the eastern wall of Haystack). It was never actually over us (just felt that way).

Still, we all felt the only safe place for us was on the OTHER side of Basin, which is why we went for it. we actualy passed over in 3 seperate groups. You guys must have surely had your fun over on Skylight as well.

Glad you had fun.

Last edited:
Congrats on your 46! It sounds like you had a great day. By the way, that was me you were waving to on Cliff. I thought I saw some movement in the distance.......