Heads Up

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pilgrim

Reaction score
Subscribers to Appalachia already know what I am about to write. Everybody else is urged to buddy up with a subscriber so you can read the Winter/Spring 2006 issue, which includes a mother lode of holiday gifts for outdoor enthusiasts. A sampling:

"The 4,000-Footers in Winter" by Timothy Muskat: A thoughtful description of winter peakbagging. "...mountains, like poems, lead us to unknown, irrational, unyoked parts of our being, and then, like poems, lead us back to the known, rational, connected parts of ourselves--but refreshed, revivified, and sometimes changed."

"Mountain Voices: Karl Limmer" by Doug Mayer and Rebecca Oreskes: Part I of extended interviews with the current generation of Intervale bootmakers. Many of us have moved away from traditional heavy hiking boots, but Limmers remain a symbol of White Mountains hiking that "...because of their unique look, they are recognized immediately by hikers around the world."

Last but far from least: a story about the exploits of the legendary Brutus the hiking Newfoundland and his sidekick Kevin, written by the equally legendary Steven D. Smith. Like Limmers, Brutus is big, he's black, and he's beautiful. A plug for Views From the Top is included in the article.

I've got to agree. I received my copy of Appalachia yesterday and flipped through it. This issue looks like one of the best issues I've seen in a while. I can't wait to read through all the articles.

Spoiler!!!! Good news from the accident report. No deaths were reported during last winter.

Plus it's got the Mt. Washington Fox on the cover! I brought it to work today to read at lunch time (or when no one is watching).

not to 'jack the thread but i still wear my big 'ol black limmers every now and then cause i love 'em like a son! :) and i don't want 'em to get lonely! :D :D i wear asics trail shoes 98% or the time now but i don't love 'em like a son. i use 'em up and throw 'em out!! :eek:

all dap (and i mean ALL DAP) to limmer!!! :) :) :) can't wait to see the piece on brother limmer! thanks for the head up!!

Rugger said:
Plus it's got the Mt. Washington Fox on the cover! I brought it to work today to read at lunch time (or when no one is watching).

I shouldn't admit it - me too - but I work from home some days - so when I got it out of the mailbox - it definitely bumped the environmental regulations I was trying to read - no one to notice though..... ;)

Love that fox! Just by coincidence the Mt. Wash. Observatory posted a photo of that fox (or a companion) a couple of weeks ago; the contrast against the white summit made for a stunning photo.

This entire Appalachia issue is a great read. The article about Brutus is a gem! Go Brutus!

We've been looking for a shelter/rescue dog to share our outdoor activities and have noted the recent threads(s)about which breeds/mixes make the best canine trail companions. Now my son wants a Newfie! :)

Hey Kevin - how much did you have pay them for advertising in the issue??

Just joking :)

What a gorgeous dog! Think I told you that before. Hopefully, I will see him on thr trails at some stage.

Last edited: