Hello, High peaks mid week?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreamstream

Reaction score
Hello, great site, been lurking for a while.

Quick question, how is the mid week trafic right now around Algonquin, Marcy and other popular high peaks. What are the chances for finding leanto and tent site space?

Headed off to the Dacs tomorow for 2 weeks working east to the Whites, day hikes and a few overnighter 2-3 day hikes. It will be the 3rd trip to the region for me, but I have not been in the summer.

I went up to Lake Placid yesterday and can't answer your question directly but these observations may help. The parking areas for Cascade were over flowing. The same for Giant along rte 73, did not notice the lot at Roaring Brook. The Dix parking lot had several cars in it. That was a Wed so expect to see many at the popular spots.

You should not have a problem finding a lean-to midweek. Although I could be wrong but usually when I hike midweek it has been no problem. As Antler mentioned the trailheads closer to the road seem to fill up faster and are mostly dayhikers. Marcy Dam and Lake Colden areas are mostly overnighters but seem to fill up faster on the weekends starting with Friday Afternoon.

Good Luck have a safe trip and welcome to VFTT! I want to hear a report when you return :)

Adam

Thanks, just waiting for my hiking partner to finish sorting her stuff out an were off, had to sit down and post just to keep from getting grumpy, i'd rather be on the road <6am.

I will put some trip reports together when i'm back, but it wont be until the end of Aug as I leave for a 2 week northern canoe trip right after the hiking.

Lake Colden Area

Last week starting Monday (7/11/05) just about every leanto and ground site was full in the Lake Colden Area. By Thursday night the crowds had thinned. Every leanto was occupied but almost every gound site was open. (I think our group was the only one using a ground site) That is not to say that there was not room to share with someone in a leanto. The rangers said that it was busier on Monday than it had been over the weekend.