Hennessy Hammock Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattC

Reaction score
Ulster County, NY Avatar: Chapel Pond From Giant M
Here's a question for all you hammock-heads. Hennessy is currently having a "while they last" sale on their "Scout" model, only $79.95. I don't really need a hammock, :rolleyes: but it seems like this might be a pretty good way to try one out w/o spending a lot. Does anyone have any experience w/ this model? I'm only 5'6" and about 140 lbs., so I think I would be comfortable in it. Is there any really significant reason the other models are a lot better? Or are they basically just bigger? Any feedback would be appreciated.

http://www.hennessyhammock.com/catalogue.htm

Matt

mcorsar said:
Here's a question for all you hammock-heads. Hennessy is currently having a "while they last" sale on their "Scout" model, only $79.95. I don't really need a hammock, :rolleyes: but it seems like this might be a pretty good way to try one out w/o spending a lot. Does anyone have any experience w/ this model? I'm only 5'6" and about 140 lbs., so I think I would be comfortable in it. Is there any really significant reason the other models are a lot better? Or are they basically just bigger? Any feedback would be appreciated.

http://www.hennessyhammock.com/catalogue.htm

Matt
If you are not a large person, it looks like this might be a good introduction into hammock camping. Note that this model is NOT an assymetric design. This means you will not be able to lay nearly flat on a diagonal, as you can in newer designs. Therefore, sleeping on your side may be awkward and uncomfortable in the Scout. If this is not important to you, then it's probably worth the price.

Last edited:
What Nessmuk said. :D I have a expedition asym and I love it but I love regular hammocks as well. The expedition is really easy to sleep in if set up right. A really good sleep. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to spend the money if you have it. I don't think you'll regret it.

Keith

Nessmuk said:
Note that this model is NOT an assymetric design. This means you will not be able to lay nearly flat on a diagonal, as you can in newer designs. Therefore, sleeping on your side may be awkward and uncomfortable in the Scout.
Not so. I use a Speer hammock (a better design, IMO)--it is symmetrical and you can sleep on either diagonal. The asym design simply takes away one diagonal and saves a bit of weight.

I can sleep on either diagonal (on my back or side) with adequate comfort, so the functional difference between the sym and asym would just be the extra weight (and, of course, the burden of deciding which diagonal to sleep on :) ).

Doug

Last edited:
No no, don't do it!

Once you sleep in that hammock, you'll never be the same. Actually, I've got an old style expedition HH, and really love the thing. Tents? Never again.

DougPaul said:
Not so. I use a Speer hammock (a better design, IMO)--it is symmetrical and you can sleep on either diagonal. The asym design simply takes away one diagonal and saves a bit of weight.

I can sleep on either diagonal (on my back or side) with adequate comfort, so the functional difference between the sym and asym would just be the extra weight (and, of course, the burden of deciding which diagonal to sleep on :) ).

Doug

DO you get kickbacks from Ed? ;) (just kidding)

Greg said:
Once you sleep in that hammock, you'll never be the same. Actually, I've got an old style expedition HH, and really love the thing. Tents? Never again.

Couldn't be more true!

mcorsar said:
Thanks for the input guys. I think I might just go for it.

Matt

Hey Matt,

Listen, I am all for you getting a hammock.
I love my Hennesey Hammock, I've never slept in any other kind of hammock.

I'll never go back to the ground again. Except in the deep winter.....

Two points regarding this one in particular -
1) It is not the Asym design. Which may or may not be of concern. You would only know that if you spend a night in both designs.
2) This particular model is one of the heavier models. The three lightest models are all on backorder and a bit more expensive but IMHO well worth the wait and expense for the weight savings. (speaking from the ultralight perspective)

I use the Light Racer Asym, primarily. I've had no problems with durability with that model.
I also have the ULTRALITE BACKPACKER A-SYM.

Oh, and p.s. Don't listen to Doug Paul, he is totally biased to the Speer Hammock. However, unlike Doug Paul, I'm not biased towards the Speer Hammock. Never slept in one so I am not biased towards it at all.
:eek: :D (Doug Paul, you know I'm only kidding.... ;) )

Zer0-G said:
Oh, and p.s. Don't listen to Doug Paul, he is totally biased to the Speer Hammock. However, unlike Doug Paul, I'm not biased towards the Speer Hammock. Never slept in one so I am not biased towards it at all.
:eek: :D (Doug Paul, you know I'm only kidding.... ;) )
I don't listen to me either... :)

FWIW, I have tried the Hennessy too--bought one, tried it, compared it to a friend's Speer, returned the Hennessy, and bought a Speer. Both work, I just feel the Speer is a better design. Both suppliers have happy customers.

Hennessy has a bigger marketing effort and is available at outdoors equipment suppliers, Speer is a small operation using direct order--when I ordered mine, I spoke to Speer himself. I just want people to be aware of both sides of the choice.

In my earlier post, the primary issue that I addressed was the difference between symmetrical and asymmetrical hammocks. And Speer (and the Hennessy model of interest to the OP) are symmetrical designs.

Standard caveat: I have no connection with either supplier--just a happy customer of one.

Doug

DougPaul said:
I don't listen to me either... :)

FWIW, I have tried the Hennessy too--bought one, tried it, compared it to a friend's Speer, returned the Hennessy, and bought a Speer. Both work, I just feel the Speer is a better design. Both suppliers have happy customers.

Doug

Hi Doug,
You know we have exchanged thoughts on this very topic before.

I am actually very interested in trying the Speer Hammock.
However, the last thing I need is to get hooked on another product when the one I use is doing well by me.

Ignorance, in my case, IS bliss.

;)

On the other hand, if someone were to lend me a Speer, I would very enthusiastically give it a hang.

Uh Oh, I've got to go to my Gear Junky Rehab Group now.....bye ! :D

Zer0-G said:
Hi Doug,
You know we have exchanged thoughts on this very topic before.
Hi yerself,

Yes-I recall now. I have discussed this issue with a number of people and I'm afraid that after a while I lose track of who in these on-line fora... (If my mother's name weren't Mom, I'd never remember that either...)

I am actually very interested in trying the Speer Hammock.
However, the last thing I need is to get hooked on another product when the one I use is doing well by me.
Just think of it as helping the economy by keeping the equipment suppliers in business...

On the other hand, if someone were to lend me a Speer, I would very enthusiastically give it a hang.
If we happened to cross paths, I'd be happy to show it to you.

Speer does have a website (http://www.speerhammocks.com) and the book. I bought the book first and checked the hammock out on paper in addition to my friend's demo before buying. All the info to build one is in the book--IMO there are some rather clever aspects to the design. Doesn't look hard--medium sewing skills are all that are required. Speer offers materials, partial hammocks, and, of course, the whole thing. (My friend who showed it to me has made several and uses a variation on the design.) I already had an 8x10 silnylon tarp (for the fly), so I just bought the hammock body.

Uh Oh, I've got to go to my Gear Junky Rehab Group now.....bye ! :D
Stop blocking the door so I can get in... :)

Doug

Last edited:
One advantage to the Speer is that you can leave the bug net at home when bugs are not in season. On the Hennessy models the neeting is permanently attached.

DougPaul said:
Speer does have a website (http://www.speerhammocks.com)
Doug

I've been there. I've even had some very nice conversations with Ed.

Bought some merchandise from him as well. Sleeping pad, some gizmos for pad extenders etc...

Now listen here buster, if HE couldn't get me to buy one of his hangers, do you really think you could talk me into it?

Oh My God, I can't believe I'm being so rude! :eek:

Well, if we ever happen to meet in the woods and joust for that perfect tree, I'd be happy to slip into your hanger (without you being in it of course) and check it out.

If someone had a used one at a bargain price I could think about a purchase, I guess.

I can barely tie my boot laces no less sew a seam. I'd probably end up sewing my shirt into the hammock and end up dragging the darn thing to work with me on a monday morning as a result..... :mad:

Oh Well....

DougPaul said:
Stop blocking the door so I can get in...
Doug

Hey, quit pushing me, there's plenty of chairs inside..... :D

Hope Matt doesn't mind me tagging along this thread.

I camped out this past saturday on state land about 1/2 mile in from the Roostercomb trailhead (after we saw the state park wilderness sign) in Keene Valley. I bought a HH ultralight (non asym) model cause it was on closeout a year or so ago, came with free snakeskins and all that stuff. i.e. it was a pretty good deal I thought I could use for bike touring at car camping places. However, since the time I biked to Maine, I had a friend with me, so therefore, I bought a Shires tarptent for that which is a 2 person tent. Anyway, the hammock was kind of forgotten til now.

Anyway, after Doodles helped me set it up, my initial impressions were. I wish it had reflective guylines. Thin black accessory cord... seems like a good way to get beheaded in the night. Also, Doodle's cord was different than mine. My nylon cord seems to be very smooth, or coated, hence it seems slippery. Hammock was sagging a bit in the morning but since it's my first use, can't say if it was slippage or simply the nylon rope stretched a bit. No rain to speak of so it wasn't wet.

Overall, I was somewhat comfy in it, had to contort to move things around and you have to get yourself balanced head to toe in it, lest your feet or head go way up.

I'll miss an easily unzippered access to hack loogies out though! :eek:

Jay

Having slept in both sym and asym, I have found the asym somewhat more comfortable, if a little more awkward to get into. Once you get the "hang" of it, its quite comfortable. Can't beat it for a quick one-niter in the Gunks! Of course, Jay's reflective cord, while a good idea, can give an otherwise unobtrusive campsite a little more visibility.

A hermit lived in a Gloucester, MA cabin in the woods for 33 years in the late 1800's. But, Mason Walton "spent only three months of the year in his cabin, perferring to sleep in a hammock under a canvas roof.....He shielded himself from (mosquitoes) with cheesecloth netting." Liz Nelson article in a Trustees of Reservations Magazine, Fall 2006.