herniated lumbar disc -- how long before one can resume hiking?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very sorry to hear you are hurting. My advice is 0atience and a good chiropractor. You have youth on your side!

And....as mysteriously as it appeared, it disappears....

I woke up this morning 100% pain-free.

Did the disks pop themselves back into place overnight? What the hell am I doing in my sleep?

Good sign but be careful... Pain-free is good but no guarantee that "it's fixed". In my case hip pain was caused by a pinched nerve from the dislocated disk. A partial return to "normal position" alleviated the pain but the disk was still not perfect. I still had loss of foot control for quite a few more PT sessions. My disk is still not perfect and it likely never will be. That’s why proper core conditioning and lifting (and posture with a pack) are key to future freedom from pain.

And....as mysteriously as it appeared, it disappears....

I woke up this morning 100% pain-free.

Did the disks pop themselves back into place overnight? What the hell am I doing in my sleep?

The Spinal Manipulation Fairy paid you a visit. Sweet!! ;)

As noted above, don't take the lack of pain to necessarily mean lack of injury. If it were me, I'd get Herr Doktor's sign-off before getting back to bagging 4K's.

But then, I'm a bit on the cautious side in general.

As I sit cracking the foot I did not stay off of, don't rush back. The mountains will be there.

Agree a MD who does some activities would be a plus.

Thanks, everyone. I'll be careful in the coming days and weeks. Don't know if I can resist getting back out there, but if I do I will bring along the valium just in case something goes OUCH while I'm miles away from the car. WIll also hike with others if I take Alex/Sage.

Thanks for all the advice and well-wishes, once again. This board is full of genuinely good people.

Hey, with valium, all things are possible.

Kidding aside, I'll take it easy for a bit before I go solo again.

Glad to hear your back is feeling better!:)

They gave me a shot of some psuedo-valium (not to be confused with psuedophed), before the anestesia, when I got my knee scoped last week. It felt great. I highly recommend it- the valium that is.;)

Take it slow Trish...
Petch

Glad to hear your back is feeling better!:)

They gave me a shot of some psuedo-valium (not to be confused with psuedophed), before the anestesia, when I got my knee scoped last week. It felt great. I highly recommend it- the valium that is.;)

Take it slow Trish...
Petch

I'm sorry to hear about your knee! How did I miss that info? Just sent you a pm, hope you're feeling alright.