Hey Doc, it hurts when I do this

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great timing for this thread...I had ACL reconstruction 8 hours ago!

Blew it 3 years ago skiing, but did know know it. Kept hiking, skiing and mountain biking all along The knee swelled but was still tight rightafter it happened Super strong quads can hold it together for a while.

Finally, did have to get it done as it was getting loose and I tore some cartilige a few times and found out ACL was gone during an MRI to check on tears. Was shocked. Turned out the ACL fused to the PCL.

Hard to complain though, surgery went really well and hope to be back out on the trails in the fall!

Leg still broken, but I can get around a heck of a lot better than I could a few weeks ago. I should be transitioning to an ankle brace in about a week, but still on crutches. The fracture is filling in well, still nicely aligned, but the tissue is soft. It has not calcified into bone yet, and so cannot take weight or resist bending.

I'm getting very restless. I actually *want* to go out and mow the lawn.

cramps on the tendon on inner thigh, mostly my right leg.
I stretch, drink plenty of liquids. I take potasium, calcium and magnisium.
I drink tonic water after a hike.
It started my 3rd year of hiking. My first two years I could go nonstop.
first time it happened was on a cold dreary day hiking rocky ridge from route 9.
I pushed myself very hard and on way back up bald peak it happened.
Maybe I did some damage and it never healed.
I can be home 6 hours after I finished my hike and wham, lock up.:(

I'll whine alittle bit...

Both ankles -- no tendons left on one side due to old kung fu training, and hiking injuries; I have to keep the muscles around my ankles in good shape. Near the end of any hike, those muscles get tired, and my ankles occasionally fail me. Nothing serious.

My neck and back are often a minor mess, but I keep doing planks and other stretches, and work on core strength. The pack I carry probably should be replaced with one that better fits my narrow shoulders.

Feet - below big toes hurt after hikes, due to some chronic inflammation - it's like someone has been pounding on them with a ball-peen hammer. Oh, wait, that's the talus and rocks I hike over! :D But seriously, it's time for new boots and inserts...

I think the name of the game is to keep moving and keep one's core strength up, so that one can continue to hike into one's 60's, 70's, etc. I'm middle-aged and trying to keep active as I can by cycling, walking, hiking, etc.

--LivesToHike

Did something nasty to my shoulder this past October. Wasn't an outdoor injury - it happened while I was in bed. Sadly, not even doing anything especially fun. The injury kept getting worse until I gave up rock climbing, pushups - practically any kind of upper body exercise. It's finally starting to heal but I have to be careful with things like opening a stuck window, or swimming. Doesn't stop me from hiking: I can still use the arm if I need to scramble, it just hurts (and both arms are getting weak).

I too injured my shoulder, though not rolling over. I did as you are doing, and stopped the pushups, etc. However, my other shoulder is now showing signs of weakness and I am recovering from rotator cuff/biceps tendon tear repairs. Check w/your doctor or PT. Exercises and/or therapies might help you avoid damaging the weakened musculature further.

Disclaimer: **I am not a doctor, PT or medical practitioner in any fashion...just a hiker who suffered too long before seeking a 2nd opinion. I am now not able to hike w/a pack though I am getting stronger with each passing day. Though I am told I will eventually be stronger than before, rehab is a bitch. :mad:

Morton's neuroma - both feet - Superfeet insoles keep this from happening unless it's a really long day.

Had Morton's neuroma in one foot. After years of treatments and remedies (expensive shoes/sneakers, insoles, orthotics, stretches, cortisone-like injections) I finally went under the knife. Have a little issue w/nerve loss but no more searing, shooting pain w/each footfall. Just sayin':)