I got the dehydration blues....

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffalo

Reaction score
Ok, so here's a tale of something we all deal with, usually in the mountains though!
On Friday I got a pretty sudden and nasty swollen throat to the point of having trouble swallowing. Doc said it was some kind of viral infection like Strep and put me on anti-biotics. BUT, since I could barely swallow without needles of pain jabbing into my brain she gave me a lower dosage in liquid form, which tasted like a McDonalds Vanilla Shake and, of course, took forever to take effect. In the meantime, over the weekend, I could barely eat or drink anything so I got dehydrated.
On Monday I went back with the news that not only was that dosage not working, but I was getting migraines and slept about three hours all weekend. (Yeah, not eating or drinking or sleeping much for 48 hours - foreshadowing alert!)
So she was, like, hey I know, we'll give give you a direct shot of steroids to get the swelling down so we can jam some more effective pills down your throat. Sounds good to me I said through my migraine-addled brain.
Next thing you know my pants are down and I'm getting a syringe full of happy juice pumped right into the muscle, like in Pulp Fiction I thought only my butt! And what do you know, in about ten seconds I can suddenly breath and my throat feels great and I think I can run home.
About ten seconds after that, I start shaking, and break out into a sweat like I've been in a sauna for two days and my hands begin to feel like Capt. Kirk's hands from the last Star Trek movie and little round bubbles are floating in front of my eyes. Well, the whole office breaks out all this emergency equipment (I think I saw the defibrillator there) and all the while I'm thinking, well, even though my lips feel like they've just been pumped full of collagen at least I can swallow. Like my brain had weighed the trade off and figured, hey, good deal!
Meantime, they're reading my blood pressure and shoving water down my throat and they go to get the on-duty doctor or some such thing. This goes on for about five minutes before the shakes stop and my breathing gets back to normal and all the nurses in there breath what appears to be a collective sigh.
Turns out it was the dehydration. My body had already begun shutting down oxygen flow to certain places (ergo the migraines and the dry mouth) and the entrance of the super-mega-steroid dose made it panic and hit the emergency flush button (sweats, shakes, etc.). At least that's how they explained it. The whole thing lasted maybe ten minutes, though they let me lay down for half hour after that so I could get myself together.
The weird thing was that my blood pressure was fine prior to the shot.
But, man oh man, the moral of this story kiddies.... drink water!

When I was a kid and we raised collie puppies, occasionally we would worry about dehydration. My mother would kind of pinch the skin on the back of their necks and if it stayed pinched, she would know the pup was dehydrated and treat it further. More recently, she wasn't feeling well and pinched the flesh on the top of her hand. It stayed up in a pinched shape and she announced she thought she was dehydrated. Yep. She was. Did anyone try that with you, Dan? But more importantly, thank goodness you are okay now.

Thanks for the graphic reminder. I just ordered some NUUN as my supply was out.

I had some "interesting" symptoms this weekend from not enough electrolytes.

I have found the pinch on the back of the hand to be a very reliable indicator. I once told that to a nurse at a hospital and she never realizzed the patient was dehydrated which made a huge difference in the patients treatment.

Once a young Scout pinched my hand and told me I was dehydrated and I poo pooed him until I realised. I haden't peed all day and it was 3PM. I drank 3 qts in the next few hrs.

I have found the pinch on the back of the hand to be a very reliable indicator. I once told that to a nurse at a hospital and she never realizzed the patient was dehydrated which made a huge difference in the patients treatment.

Once a young Scout pinched my hand and told me I was dehydrated and I poo pooed him until I realised. I haden't peed all day and it was 3PM. I drank 3 qts in the next few hrs.

Hey Ellen and Ricky, come to think of it, I had heard about the pinch in reference to a cat we used to own who was getting old. The vet pinched his skin near his shoulder blades and discovered he was dehydrated. Hmmm, will have to try that on myself from now on :) And nope, that's not something they did at the doctor's office.
And thanks Ellen, feeling much better now, though the steroid treatment makes it hard to sleep. It's always something. I'm just eager to heal up once and for all and see if I can still catch what's left of this winter!

Dan,
Wow! Sorry to hear about your dilemma. One word comes to mind: Gatorade. Maybe, that would have helped if the swallowing hadn't been so severe.
That is all we drink when we hike in warm/hot weather (or have to prep for certain physical procedures ;))

Donna:)

One word comes to mind: Gatorade.
Not necessarily. The purpose of electrolyte drinks is to replace the electrolytes (primarily sodium) lost in sweating due to exercise. The primary ingredient (besides water) is salt (sodium chloride).

Too much salt intake can cause or increase dehydration because you have to excrete water to eliminate the excess salt.

Doug

Dehydration is AWFUL! The worst part is once you are dehydrated it is wicked hard to get re-hydrated.

These days I almost never drink straight water. Someone already mentioned NUUN, that stuff is the best! It tastes good, is portable and just seems to work.

The pinch on the hand isn't reliable when you get older, kiddies. :(

I can tell by running my tongue on the roof of my mouth, and if the front-to-back groove is pronounced, I start drinking more.

Careful, dehydration could lead to kidney stones.

I got dehydrated on a winter trip one year, and a little less than a week later I had my first bout with kidney stones. The doctor said it was probably the result of being dehydrated, and further research indicated that it's the primary cause.

Since then, I have always made sure that I drink plenty of water during any activities.

I did a trip with Big Earl this winter and got nailed by cramps after a long day of hiking without enough water. I had some NUUN in the pack but no water or motivation to mix it and regreted it.

I used to use Gatoraid, but Nuun has more potassium and no sugar. It has an "acquired taste" I go on google shopping and buy it by the four pack from whatever company is selling it for less as its a high markup item at EMS. There are claims that it absorbs more quickly, but all I know it beats hauling Gatoraide up from the trailhead to the ridgeline. I do feel a bit guilty throwing the packaging away, I wish they sold refill packs.

Electrolyte is primarily sodium chloride (NaCL, salt), potassium chloride (KCl), and a sugar or carbohydrate. And, perhaps more important--hype. :)

The NaCl and KCl replace electrolytes lost in sweat and the sugar (any of a variety of sugars: sucrose, glucose, fructose, etc) or carbohydrate increases the rate of absorption.

I personally don't feel like paying for hype and make my own (for a few cents per liter). The recipe is in http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?4914-Long-distance-nutrition&p=54650&viewfull=1#post54650 and there is more info in the thread http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?4914-Long-distance-nutrition. (Yes, this is yet another plug for my el-cheapo home-brewed electrolyte.)

<meta note>
There are some other threads with useful info, but I don't have time to list them right now--I'll add them later.
</meta note>

Doug