Hibernation weekend!!!!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandana4me

Reaction score
It’s that time of year again. Marley and I were coming down off the North Twin trail Friday morning, and low and behold groups were heading up. The traffic in town was atrocious, so we headed out to fill the Freezer and cupboards. Marley will be sad as our walks will be on snowmobile trails or logging roads this weekend. Nobody will see me on any trails this weekend!

Good news: only one more weekend to go, Columbus weekend. Then there will be a slow down on the trails until that first day of Winter. We know what happens then; Winter peakbaggers emerge from their slumber.

I also avoid the high peaks on holiday weekends. Too much traffic on both highways and trails.

I prefer to hang close to home. I will work holiday weekends whenever I have the opportunity in exchange for days off later. If not working I will hike in a few local, generally unknown, and "off the beaten" locations. Bicycling uncrowded back roads also fits the bill perfectly.

I really love September following Labor Day. Children are back in school making midweek hiking very attractive. Weather is generally placid. Next to fall foliage it is the best time of the year to hike. :) :cool:

I also avoid the high peaks on holiday weekends. Too much traffic on both highways and trails.

I prefer to hang close to home. I will work holiday weekends whenever I have the opportunity in exchange for days off later. If not working I will hike in a few local, generally unknown, and "off the beaten" locations. Bicycling uncrowded back roads also fits the bill perfectly.

I really love September following Labor Day. Children are back in school making midweek hiking very attractive. Weather is generally placid. Next to fall foliage it is the best time of the year to hike. :) :cool:
We whacked 3 peaks this weekend and saw 0 other people! :D

I went to Maine, the weather was perfect, and the views were awesome. I encountered only 38 people in the Bigelows on Saturday. Not bad for 13+ miles of hiking. I encountered only 3 people on CoP Snow, and zero others on Cup Snow on Sunday. Friday traffic heading North moved well. This morning between Gorham and Lincoln, NH was a bit crowded but moved along at the speed limit. All and all one of the best weekends of hiking I've ever had!

No kidding! Did Chocorua with my kids, MOBBED at the summit. We camped out in the valley near the bolles/bee line intersection and once we were on bee line, ahhh, quiet.

traffic on 93S on the way home was a bit 'mouth'