High Peaks Trail/Snow Conditions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bachand

Reaction score
Planning on hiking in the adirondack high peaks area either this weekend or next. Anyone have info on how much snow is on the ground at higher elevations? Enough for snow shoes yet?

Marc

Hardly. Most reports are indicating only a dusting, maybe an inch or two at most.

Didn't see a single snowflake in the Adirondacks this weekend, even though the Catskills got a foot and a half at higher elevations.

I'll be up this weekend but planning on visiting just the lower peaks, likely Severance & Goodenow

Another question: I see that Elk Lake lodge is closed for the season as posted on their website, is the trailhead just off their property that give people access to the Dix Range closed also? Can you walk from there to the lake?

I'll be up this weekend but planning on visiting just the lower peaks, likely Severance & Goodenow

Another question: I see that Elk Lake lodge is closed for the season as posted on their website, is the trailhead just off their property that give people access to the Dix Range closed also? Can you walk from there to the lake?

There is no public access to the Dix Range from the south when Elk Lake is closed for hunting season. In other words, the trail is closed to public access during this time.

Thanks,

I'll have to think of another easy to get to view in that general area. (or push the guests up Vanderwhacker :D)

There is no public access to the Dix Range from the south when Elk Lake is closed for hunting season. In other words, the trail is closed to public access during this time.

Yes, that's an annual occurance. I think the question is when will the Elk Lake trails be accessible again, once hunting season is over, and what date might that be? Winter access is via parking at Clear Pond, once public acess to the preserve resumes.

Clear Pond is on the Elk Lake property, and the winter parking area for hikers is there. The road beyond that is closed and gated for the winter, and is not maintained (Elk Lake Lodge is also closed in winter). This adds about 2 miles to the hike in.

A friend climbed Allen yesterday to complete his 49th round, water crossings were very easy but microspikes were necessary to scale Allen Brook.