Hiker dies from hypothermia in Adirondack High Peaks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The article says "she was only wearing a pair of Skechers sneakers" to hike Macnaughton alone in the winter and fleece sweatpants. And everything got wet. Yikes!
It also says she was an experienced hiker. Seems to bizarre that she would venture out that under-prepared.
I bring an arsenal of gear with me in the winter, especially if hiking alone. You need plenty of back up stuff, because like the article says, once you get wet, you can be in big trouble.

Have to wonder how they ascertained her "experience" level if she was deceased. Did they talk to friends or family that didn't really comprehend what she was doing? Says she is from Delaware so maybe her experience level relates to far more tame Winter hikes than this. Just doesn't add up. The description of her clothes seems wildly cocky and overconfident for an experienced Winter hiker bushwhacking a remote peak like that.

She was apparently a SSW 46er and a few other completed lists. There is a lot of conflicting information that I've read, but it sounds like she was indeed a strong hiker, well known, well loved, and got away with poor gear choices until she didn't get away with it.

You can easily read between the lines in one of the comments following the LPN article.

There is also this:

http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/...reports/451941-wet-n-wild-north-dome-sherrill

http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/member/15305-wawa/about

Last edited:
I keep coming back to the ludicrous-ness of Skechers as winter Adirondack MacNaughton footwear. I read it was 0 degrees and even a little below. It just doesn't make any sense.

Its an attitude I run into frequently, the seemingly skilled hiker/runner that is underequipped for the potential conditions. They have gotten away with it in the past and therefore extend the logic that they can get away with it in the future as their skill and conditioning level can make up for fundamental poor choices. In reality they have been lucky in the past and finally they were unlucky. The alternative for being underequipped is turning around when the conditions degrade but this goes against the drive to summit. The other aspect is that rational thinking goes first when hypothermic so frequently consideration of "what if" doesn't happen.

Its tough that occasionally folks have to die because of decisions like this and even tougher that other folks will rationalize that it will not happen to them. RIP

Its an attitude I run into frequently, the seemingly skilled hiker/runner that is underequipped for the potential conditions. They have gotten away with it in the past and therefore extend the logic that they can get away with it in the future as their skill and conditioning level can make up for fundamental poor choices. In reality they have been lucky in the past and finally they were unlucky. The alternative for being underequipped is turning around when the conditions degrade but this goes against the drive to summit. The other aspect is that rational thinking goes first when hypothermic so frequently consideration of "what if" doesn't happen.

Its tough that occasionally folks have to die because of decisions like this and even tougher that other folks will rationalize that it will not happen to them. RIP

Good post, I agree.
There is an incredible film called "McConkey" on Netflix instant about extreme skier/athlete/wingsuit flyer Shane McConkey. It is almost impossible to not be fascinated and interested in this film, no matter what you're into; it's a very well-done documentary. Anyhow, he died at age 39 in a skiing cliff jump to parachute out. There's a quote in the movie that: "if you keep testing the limits and boundaries [with regards to extreme risk], sooner or later you're going to find out what those limits are." And if it's extreme risk, that usually means death.
It's not worth it. I want to keep living, among other things, to keep climbing. Yes, it sucks to turn back, but it's better than the alternative.
I was doing a Presidential Traverse two years ago in the middle of the summer and I bailed before Washington down into Jefferson Notch, because it was just too dangerous. Even though it was mid-summer, the wind had picked up and it was freezing. I didn't have adequate gear for the sharp change in weather and I aborted the mission. It needs to happen sometimes. I hate to think what might have happened if I had pushed on from Jefferson to Washington, especially since the temperature kept dropping and it was getting later in the day. With climbing it's so critical to know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em.

ADK HPs is down right now, but if you search for recent posts, there is a long thread about her.

She was also a 35R and W35R, just recently completed.

Don't forget that for many who live south of the hills, it is spring in town even though it is still winter in the mountains. I suspect that many bring inadequate gear because they don't realize this.

Doug