Hiker rushed to hospital with chest pains

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the SP helicopter apparently has backcountry capability
Union Leader said:
The man was identified last night as Ernie Roy, 63, of Tynsgborough, Mass., said Fish and Game Lt. Doug Gralenski. His hometown was not immediately available.
It's not just the readers who are sometimes a bit slow :)

I was going to post this last night but had no info to accompany. I was driving east on rte. 2 at about 5:30 and saw what looked like the profile of the DHART chopper beelining up the northern slope of the big peaks, and noted they were about to enter near solid cloud cover around 5,000 ft. Could not help but wonder who was flying up into that, often the biggest barrier for getting them to fly for me was dense cloud or high wind in order to touch down or hover close. Kudos to the flight crew to challenge the difficult conditions to get a cardiac call to definitive care.

As I passed by Lowes Store there were 3 F&G trucks along with the Randolph police chief parked in the meadows near the store. Going over Randolph/Gorham Hill a Gorham ambulance was screaming west, and when I got to Gorham I could hear the chopper flying back north off the slopes. A short time after I heard the ambulance returning back down off Gorham Hill so figured the mission was a success. Called a friend on Mt. Wash who confirmed a cardiac situation was unfolding.

I'm sure the boys were thrilled to terminate command and go home early in the evening on Friday of L-Day weekend, probably not what they expected.

Wow...that is an incredible rescue story.
He is one lucky man. Hope he is OK and has a good recovery from this event.
When you wake up in the morning you have no clue where you might bed down that night.
Life is most certainly chuck full of surprises.

So the SP helicopter apparently has backcountry capability

Actually, not much. For instance, they had to hover very close to the ground to get the guy loaded, according to the story. Which is what you'd expect from that bird and its ilk on rough terrain.

There's a world of difference between the National Guard's Pave Hawks (built on the Black Hawk platform) and all other helicopters used in search and rescue in NH (except the Coast Guard's own Jayhawks, of course.) The Pave Hawks can fly at night in bad weather in the mountains and haul yer butt up through the trees to load you if required. The rest of them -- not so much on any of those points.

I saw a helicopter flying through Franconia Notch when I was near Profile Lake about six o’clock. I wonder if it was related to this.

But, geez, that article is rife with misspelled words and mistakes. Did she file it while she was hiking, or what? ‘‘Tynsgborough’’? ‘‘Made is way’’ when she meant ‘‘made his way’’? ‘‘Northwest summit of the summit, just below treelike;’’ that’s terrible! And most egregiously, ‘‘do to the seriousness’’ instead of due, for Pete’s sake.

Let’s get it right, let’s nail it down...