Hikers benighted on Baxter!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stu

Reaction score
This is an incredibly chilling story told to me by two people I met on the trail in Baxter S.P. this past wed. I am including just the facts as I remember them and I’m not going to make any judgments on what amounted to some really weak decision making.

While making my way up the Saddle Trail I came upon a man and his wife (probably in their mid-forties) sitting on the trail, resting. As I approached, the women blurted out, “How much further to the ranger’s station?” I told them that they were almost there and it was probably only ¼ mile down the trail. I started wondering where they were coming from this early in the morning (8:45), so I asked. They said they were coming down off the saddle and had spent the night up above tree line! Then the “floodgates” opened.

“Didn’t you have headlamps?” They both had flashlights, and both failed. He had purchased a “cheap” one battery light (the kind sold in gas stations), and apparently had never tested it. She had a “Mag-Lite” but the batteries were weak and died. They had spent a long, cold & windy (but dry) night above tree line, huddled by a rock waiting for dawn. They also said they had a stove, (but couldn’t light it due to the wind), no tent, and minimal day-hiking gear.

Taking the Ranger’s advice they had waited until the clouds cleared on Tue. before leaving Chimney Pond Camp. They had wanted to leave at 7:00 but didn’t get started up the Dudley Trail until 9:00. They crossed the Knife Edge, summited Baxter Peak and started toward the “saddle”, eventually running out of light making it too dangerous to continue.

This is where it gets interesting. Although the guy said he used to do some hiking (including several peaks out west), this “was his wife’s FIRST HIKE EVER” and “he under estimated how slow their progress would be.” And finally, he “forgot that his wife was AFRAID OF HEIGHTS” and that “she had to crawl on her hands and knees over the Knife Edge”

Obviously this was why it took them so long and why they ran out of daylight. Although they were shook-up, I told them they actually looked pretty good considering and that they were very lucky that it didn’t rain that night. With that I assured them they were almost to Chimney Pond and we parted company, each going in opposite directions. I was haunted by their story for the rest of the day, at one point wishing I had helped them back to camp….but hindsight is 20/20.

at one point wishing I had helped them back to camp….but hindsight is 20/20.
A swift kick in the ass in that direction would have been helpful but probably not appreciated.

I would have wondered if they had procreated. That's what came to mind when I read the story. Seems like even the lowest common denominator on this sight has more sense than these people.

-Dr. Wu

I'm a bit curious about how the husband forgot his wife had never hiked before, and that she was afraid of heights? Maybe he remembered when he noticed she was on her hands and knees?

Am not sure he can get away with the "Sorry honey, I forgot" excuse on this one ...

Are you certain you're not making this up, Stu?!

I’m wondering if you gave them the quick freedom of information disclaimer prior to them telling their story.

You know:

“Excuse me mama/sir, before you tell me your story, be advised the information you are about to disclose may be plastered all over the internet for folks to critique and criticize for the next couple of days until something more interesting comes along. Ok, now that’s out of the way, please continue…..”
;)

Geesh...if they came up Dudley...and THEN across the knife's edge...how did he NOT remember she was afraid of heights as they did the key hole between Pamola and Chimeny peaks? These are quite exposed and hairy. I'd be thinking "geesh...if this is that difficult, maybe we should just go back down Dudley and call it a day"...

So your wife on her hands and knees crawiling along the knife edge towards Baxter peak....
Seems like a good time to turn around instead of continuing to the summit.

Wife who is afraid of heights and crawls on her hands and knees to bag peak: NE4K:1/67

I’m wondering if you gave them the quick freedom of information disclaimer prior to them telling their story.

You know:

“Excuse me mama/sir, before you tell me your story, be advised the information you are about to disclose may be plastered all over the internet for folks to critique and criticize for the next couple of days until something more interesting comes along. Ok, now that’s out of the way, please continue…..”
;)

yeah, i'm wondering the same. :cool:

Kevin, definitely happened as told. He might of said that he knew it was her 1st hike (but failed to consider the consequences). Unfortunately the wife said she would "never hike again" and all she wanted at that point was a steak and a couple of beers. Also, no names, no foul.

Stu

Thanks, Stu. Boy, a couple of "I'm with Stoopid" t-shirts would go a long way at this point.

Of course, we may be a bit harsh with the hubbie. Unless he was holding her hostage, we have to assume she was free agent and could have either refused to go or turned around. After all - it's not like you drive by Baxter and decide to hike it on the spur of the moment.