Hiking Boundry

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Sikes

Reaction score
Is there any problems or concerns I should be worried about when going to hike Boundry? We will be going into Canada and hike from there. I have read reports about border patrol. I don't want to get into trouble.

I never saw border patrol on the hike, so can't say much about that. The defined ATV path that leads out of the trail in the woods leads me to believe some travel on the border is accepted or allowed, but that might not be in any official capacity. My things to note would be about registering with the ranger as you enter the park...
All the signs are in French, so unless you can read that, they won't be much help. The ranger I dealt with spoke English and French, so he was helpful. You can pay in US Dollars, but expect change in Canadian currency. I found a store in Eustis that took Canadian currency so I didn't have to try and exchange it at a bank or anything. The cost was 10.25, but since I didn't have a quarter, he made it 10. I also pulled into the park right behind him at about 8am, so I would say that is what time they open. I didn't notice if the gate at the building was closed to enter the park before he got there, but I suspect not since people can camp in the park and you wouldn't want to lock them in.

My trip report can be seen here. (link to my blog post with pics and link to gallery at the bottom of TR thread currently)

Technically it is illegal to cross the border to climb Boundary. The reality is no one is likely to see you. No one is likely to care. If you see or hear someone coming, just duck back into Canada.

However, one winter finisher was hassled a bit by border patrol agents, he thinks because he had camped out in the area for a few days.

If you normally carry a sizeable knife, or any knife that can open with one hand, leave it behind. In general, the more stuff you can leave behind (at campsite, motel, whatever), the better. And if you haven't gone to Canada lately, remember you need your passport, or passport card, to get back (which means the Canadians check on the way in, too.)

If you can spare the time, it's probably worth trying for Mt. Gosford. I was squeezing CoP Snow into the same day, so skipped it. At the border, just tell them you're hiking at ZEC Louise-Gosford in Saint-Augustin-de-Woburn, no need to get more specific. The folks at the crossing will speak English fairly well, even if not natively. It helps to have some French at the ZEC, although the person I was talking to lost patience with my French fairly quickly and went to get an English speaker.

The high point of Boundary is, by definition, on the border, so you can claim the peak without crossing back into the US. The canister is firmly on the US side. It is visible without re-entering the US.

If In general, the more stuff you can leave behind (at campsite, motel, whatever), the better.
You’re liable to have the hardest time with the US guards reentering. The ex-jarhead (I can say that because I was one) actually gave me a hard time because I had zip ties in my backpack. Spent 15 minutes being “interviewed” before he let me go. Thought I was at GITMO for a minute. Also make sure it isn’t moose season (or possibly other hunting seasons) when you go because the trails may be closed to hikers. A big sign at the entrance to Gosford park saying SENTIER FERME’ translates to hiking trails closed or no hikers. This happened to me in October and I couldn’t translate so I just drove through the unattended open gate at 0700 after leaving a note saying I’d pay on my way out. I caught hell from the rangers on my way out but it all worked out. You should probably check ahead to make sure the hiking trails are open on their [Gosford] website.

Last edited:
You’re liable to have the hardest time with the US guards reentering.

I had to answer 3 simple questions going into Canada. Coming back, it took about 5 minutes per car (me included). They will ask similar questions at different times to see how you answer. I didn't have anything that really seemed to raise any particular attention to them other than why was I crossing so far from home (why wouldn't I enter Canada through NH when I live in NH kind of thing).

Made there and back safely. All went very smoothly. Like you said, 3 questions...where you going, why and how long. We paid 13.25 now I think it was to get in the park. The guy asked if we were hiking Boundry. He spoke English but not....We had no trouble, saw noone (except 2 campers that were empty at the parking area for Boundry). Was scared for nothing. haha

We hiked it from the US side last July and saw no one for the 12 miles that we followed the swath (6+- mi each way).

I expect that you didn't see anyone but that doesn't mean no one saw you ;). Probably not much activity along there until the first day of the Canadian Moose Hunt.