Hiking Crampons

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha! My mountain sexiness factor probably rates a zero. A hiking fashionista once told me that my winter hiking clothing colors clash. Because I am cheap and my clothes work just fine, I have no intention to upgrade them for looks. Same thing with my crampons. It's how they work, not how they look. ;) :)

Guess we won't be seeing you sporting any Dirty Girls come springtime..:D
(or ones that MATCH!)

Count me as a happy G10 user - the 3 times I've actually worn them. They haven't got big, sexy points either, but they work, and with the extension bar, they even fit my size 13 winter boots.

Tim

Crampons - Grivel G12

Ice Axe - Grivel Air Tech Evo

Both of these can be used on everything from day climbs up Washington to more technical routes throughout the world.

Not to start an argument, but the sabretooth crampons are billed as an all around crampon that is meant for anything. Whether alpine or vertical, they are the do all crampon.

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/climb/crampons/sabretooth

And for the record. I have used my sabretooth crampons on hiking and ice and everything in between and I have yet to cause a bit of noticeable wear that would make me need to replace them after 3 seasons of use.

+1 for sabretooths being great on ice and even easy mixed. I've used sabretooths and g12s for many technical climbs, and many seasoned ice climbers use sabretooths or grivel g12s for ice climbs. In fact, I believe Steve House climbed Nanga Parbat with g12s and not vertical point crampons --- that's one serious mixed climb where you're not going to compromise the best equipment!

Also, on the reverse side of things, it seems that some serious mountaineers are now agreeing that vertical point crampons are just as good for glaciers and general mountaineering as horizontal, albeit a lot more expensive and probably overkill. But, I only use vertical points for technical ice climbing. Just throwing that thought out there to show that some traditional thoughts aren't as concrete as they would seem.

Whippett anyone?

Regarding ice ax candidates, I came across the BD Whippett few years ago and finally purchased one just this week. I'm thinking it will come inhandy on newly frozen trails of Moriah this weekend. I was surpised to see how long the pole was when I received it. It is only available in 2-pieces and pieces are quite long. I like to be able to collapse poles for storage on my pack. I cut the bottom peice down to accomplish this. I think primary users are BC skiers. Although it is definitely not a true ice ax, I think the whippet might be very useful for winter hiking in NE. Check out this reviews on BC.com.

http://www.backcountry.com/black-diamond-whippet-self-arrest-ski-pole#reviews

Regarding ice ax candidates, I came across the BD Whippett few years ago and finally purchased one just this week. I'm thinking it will come inhandy on newly frozen trails of Moriah this weekend. I was surpised to see how long the pole was when I received it. It is only available in 2-pieces and pieces are quite long. I like to be able to collapse poles for storage on my pack. I cut the bottom peice down to accomplish this. I think primary users are BC skiers. Although it is definitely not a true ice ax, I think the whippet might be very useful for winter hiking in NE. Check out this reviews on BC.com.

http://www.backcountry.com/black-diamond-whippet-self-arrest-ski-pole#reviews
The Whippet is essentially an add-on to a ski pole for situations where one cannot carry an axe (eg for a skier who needs poles). It is a poor substitute for an axe on steep icy terrain.

The first review is by Andrew McLean. McLean is a professional skier who skis if-you-fall-you-die terrain. (And at least one of his partners has fallen and died...)

The second review (by Noah Howell) includes the following:
I don't think they should be called 'self arrest poles', I think they are more of a climbing tool. I've taken some big long nasty falls and while attacking the slope for all I was worth the poles didn't arrest me. It seems your only chance is right at the moment of loosing control and the snow must be firm enough, but not too firm. Nice to have even then, but don't count on stopping yourself.

An ice axe is a much better tool for a hiker/climber, both for helping one make progress up or down a steep slope or self-arrest.

Doug

It's important to get the STEEL version. The aluminum ones will wear down extremely quickly given the mixed rock/ice/snow terrain that we get in the Whites.

Same goes for Grivel Aitech Lights, assuming those are still aluminum: Weight savings is not worth the wear-out factor.

If it was me I'd get a new pair of MicroSPIKES and look for good used (insert name of more traditional/aggressive crampon with anti-bots) on ebay. The set will cost you less than $120 and you can easily spend a couple years on those deciding what you "really" ;) want.

Last edited:
If it was me I'd get a new pair of MicroSPIKES and look for good used (insert name of more traditional/aggressive crampon with anti-bots) on ebay. The set will cost you less than $120 and you can easily spend a couple years on those deciding what you "really" ;) want.

Also you can check neice.com or neclimbs.com. They both have classifieds section with many a person selling off gear when they find that they don't like the whole bashed knuckle and frozen toes thing. You can find some good gear for pretty cheap as long as you pay attention. Like most sites, people are also trying to sell off the junk.

If it was me I'd get a new pair of MicroSPIKES and look for good used (insert name of more traditional/aggressive crampon with anti-bots) on ebay.
A problem with used crampons is the metal may be fatigued and prone to breaking. You cannot see this in a visual inspection.

Doug

A problem with used crampons is the metal may be fatigued and prone to breaking. You cannot see this in a visual inspection.

Doug

:) Well, I did say "If it was me...". And if Scotzman was heading off to a major mountain, I wouldn't recommend used.

BUT: Crampons are absolutely the type of gear that people use once or twice and then sell at a big loss. My experience has been: if I am patient and selective and study the pics (sharp and clean = good, round and rusty = bad), I can buy 3 pair of crampons for the cost of a new pair and resell the 1 or 2 pair I don't want for what I paid for them. My strategy would allow a purchase of MicroSPIKES and a set of good used crampons for less than the cost of a pair of new crampons, but that's just what I would do, and have done, and have had no problems doing. But YRMV. Read the disclaimer. ;)