Hiking in High Peaks without crampons

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolmom

Reaction score
I am heading to Lake Placid next week and may try to hike Mt. Jo on Thursday. However, I don't have any crampons and was wondering if it was safe to hike in just boots? If Mt. Jo is unsafe, is there any hiking we can do where crampons are not needed/required? Thanks.

coolmom said:
I am heading to Lake Placid next week and may try to hike Mt. Jo on Thursday. However, I don't have any crampons and was wondering if it was safe to hike in just boots? If Mt. Jo is unsafe, is there any hiking we can do where crampons are not needed/required? Thanks.

AFAIK, crampons are never 'required', if you mean by law. There are of course places where they may be ESSENTIAL! :eek: :D

Mt. Jo is short but fairly steep. It gets a LOT of use. It could be hard packed or icy, depending on the weather the next 7 days. If I had to guess, I'd say you wouldn't need crampons to do it. But you never know!

Do you have snowshoes? Even if the snow is hard packed, I almost always walk in snowshoes for the added grip, if I am doing any decent amount of elevation gain/loss.

Assuming you will be at the LOJ, you can walk out to Marcy Dam without crampons. It's up and down, but it never gains more than 200' of elevation. The rangers at the Information center will be able to give you other suggestions.

Tom Rankin said:
Assuming you will be at the LOJ, you can walk out to Marcy Dam without crampons.
but make sure that you wear snowshoes to marcy dam even if you don't "need" them - it is required in the highpeaks that you wear snowshoes if the snow depth is more than 8" (they can fine you).

I was up on Jo this past weekend with a couple novice winter hikers. We didn't wear crampons and it was relatively easy going up. Coming down crampons may have been useful, there was perhaps 2" of snow hiding some very slick ice in spots. For the most part we butt slid down those sections and had no difficulty. Just be a little cautious and if you think the section ahead is icy then just get low...

Bob

The High Peaks Info Center located at the parking area should have updated conditions for Mt. Jo when you arrive. In addition to snowshoes, they do rent "stabilicers" useful for walking on ice. Not sure if they rent true crampons.