Hiking in Vermont this weekend

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sal

Reaction score
Hi folks - looking for some advise on hiking in Vermont this weekend. I checked out the GMC website for info, so I am aware that trails close from April 15 to Memorial Day. But when I checked out the VFFT VT Trail Conditions page, I noticed a note cautioning folks during mud season (which they indicate starts April 1). The weather forecasts are sounding pretty good for the weekend, so my plan was to hike Mt. Abraham, and make a day of it with stops at a sugaring house (pancakes with real maple syrup!) and The Vermont Country Store (cool place). I have never hiked in Vermont - am I pushing the envelope with respect to mud season/conditions? Any feedback on the trails or parking (I plan to hike the Battell Trail to the Long Trail)? Thanks for the help!

sal

Hey Sal --

If it makes you feel any better, I'm heading up this weekend to hike in VT as well (I'll wave in your direction from Mt. Ellen.) Since the GMC website asks people to stay off the trails from April 15 to Memorial Day, my thought it's okay to be out there (but that's just my opinion.) :)

- Ivy

Fred Shirley and his gang did the Jay Range the other day

http://www.vftt.org/trail/vt/456.html

Check out his webpage -- great site!

But it seems like conditions there were at least ok enough. I think you'd be safe from eroding the trail too much there but if you check out this map it looks like snow is basically gone in Vermont except up North. So I imagine mud is starting to appear in the lower region trails.

-Dr. Wu

Never hiked in Vermont, would like to though. I looked into it once and I surfed all over the 'net trying to find some cabins or cottages in the Green Mountains area. I didn't have much luck, just found a lot of B & B places (not my style) or nuevo riche type resorts. Anybody know of a place that has cabins 1 or 2 bedroom in the Green Mountain area? :)

I can't say anything about the trails.

But, the road that my parents live on is about 1000 foot elevation. It is having one of the worst mud seasons I've ever seen (and that's saying something). They live in the Okemo-Ascutney area which is quite a bit south of Ellen and Abraham, so I would imagine it's worse up there.

I'd join in since embarassingly enough I haven't hiked any of the 4k's in my old home state. But I haven't hiked since November and probably am not in shape for it.

Here on Camel's Hump road in Duxbury, mud season has been not too bad. Just a few pot holes, and the road crew has been around. My house at 900 feet has just some patches of snow left. The trails should have thin cover down low and probably still plenty of cover higher up. I think you are OK for this weekend.

Thanks for the help everyone! We will be sure to wave in your direction too, Ivy, and looking at the Dr.'s snow map, the shoes may stay strapped to our packs (unless they work in the mud :) ). WhiteMt, we, too were looking for a non-resort/non-B&B (they are great places to stay, but not for this trip) for future trips. The shelters on the LT are pretty sweet looking! SteveH - I think we may be in a similar "fitness" condition (or we would have tried to hook up with Ivy!), but the best way to get better on the ups is to "just do it"!

If the conditions don't look good, I have no problems turning back. Everyone have a safe and happy weekend!

sal

Sal,

Have fun and be safe. Please post a trail report. Also, let me know if you see any available cabins in the Green's. Remember to drink some Long Trail Ale. :)

Mt Mansfield

Hi Sal,
I want to Hike up Mt. Mansfield. If you or someone else wants to meet up with me to do that I'm for it. Haven't been there yet. Would need directions.

WhiteMTHike-

Here is a link to a place which might interest you. http://www.campmeade.com/
It's an old fashioned "motor court" and is very convenient to the Stowe and Waitsfield area. Never stayed there, as I live in the area, but have driven by it many times, and stopped and walked through it once. It's got a funky, albeit military character - a few old fighter jets, and military vehicles displayed in the courtyard between the cabins.

professor said:
WhiteMTHike-

Here is a link to a place which might interest you. http://www.campmeade.com/
It's an old fashioned "motor court" and is very convenient to the Stowe and Waitsfield area. Never stayed there, as I live in the area, but have driven by it many times, and stopped and walked through it once. It's got a funky, albeit military character - a few old fighter jets, and military vehicles displayed in the courtyard between the cabins.

Thanks Prof. for thinking of me.

The place looks a little unusual for a motor court but since I was in the military for 21 years I might feel right at home. However, I just hope it's not like some of the barracks that I stayed in. I'd like to visit the Von Trapp family lodge while I'm there as well as hike the Green's, sounds like this place has a good location for both. Thanks. :)

I'm in southern VT and went hiking around Bourn Pond the other day when it was 70 degrees and needed snowshoes. There was still three feet of snow. It's been really dry and mud season hasn't really shown up this year, sure some spots are muddy. I would expect to encounter some snow especially north and higher elevations. It's supposed to rain all weekend with possible snow in the higher areas.