Hiking Plans - Maine and Vermont

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
I am in the process of planning out some hikes for the next few months. My main interest is to complete my remaining New England Four Thousand Footers and New England Hundred Highest. As it stands, I have seven peaks in Vermont (Dorset, Wilson, Bread Loaf, Camels Hump, Mansfield, Jay, and Big Jay) and everything in Maine. I am hoping to finish on Mansfield on Labor Day – but that is not firm.

Most likely, I’ll plan to stay at campgrounds.

I’m hopeful to find others with similar hiking interests that may want to team up on some hikes. I have transportation that can comfortably carry four or five (including me) with all the gear we might want to bring (within reason).

I am open to long weekends. I believe the six peaks in Baxter can be done in a long weekend without too much trouble, and some cooperative weather. Additionally, I have been thinking about possibly spending a week in the Rangeley area and hiking for most of the time. It looks like quite a few peaks can be hiked in a week.

If you have similar interests for all or some of these hikes please email or PM and we can work on the details. If you already have set plans for some of these hikes and can stand some company, please let me know – I’ll probably be interested in joining you.

Thanks,
Earl

Hey BigEarl!

I'll be up in Carrabasset Valley for a couple of weeks in August...I'm planning on hitting all those peaks that way again too....probably not Redington though now that I think about it. Not sure if your planning on going sooner than that but if not it would be great to hike a few with you. :)

-MEB

I am out in Burlington, and I am looking to hike some of the VT peaks this summer. I have already done Camels Hump and Mansfield, but will no doubt want to do those again. But i would also like to hike the others, as the previous 2 are the only listers i have hiked so far. So, if anyone is looking at those, give me a holler, i might be interested.

ME 4K and HH

Hi Big Earl: we have plans to hike all the ME 4Ks and as many of the ME peaks on the NEHH list this summer as we can fit in. Except for the 6 Baxter Park peaks we plan to do them as day hikes from Jackson, NH and mostly on the weekends. We're starting with Old Speck tomorrow. If you want PM us with your plans and we'll see if we can meet up.

Hi BIGEarl,
I, too, am looking to do some VT and ME hiking this year, probably weekends. Unfortunately, between long work weeks and the chaos that comes from being part of a large, close knit family, I usually cannot comit to a hike until days before. But I do read the "trips and events" forum almost daily, so if you post your trips, and you want company, and the stars align, I may be able to tag along.
slowandsteady - Old Speck is the only ME 4k I have done. It was a cloudy, drizzly day, so no views, but the Old Speck trail was one of the cooler ones I have travelled. Have a great hike.

sal

I'm up for Jay/Big Jay, i'll watch for posts as well since as a family we are half way up NH most weekends...I would love to do camping weeks in Maine, but i think that time will not be this year...i'm hoping to squeeze out enough days in Baxter to have success with the weather...maybe late August, but nothing concrete yet. As they say,....post it, and they will come...ctsparrow

Summer hiking

Big Earl, I have some peaks left in common with you, but I am planning on hiking Mansfield and Camel's Hump earlier than later.

I am beginning to plan a trip to the Baxter State Park area in Maine for some time in the first two weeks of August to (try to) climb Katahdin and N. Brother (and maybe Fort, S. Brother and Coe, depending on weather and my energy level!) At this time I do not have a reservation inside the park but will of course check on one as my plans solidify. I hope to be there for hiking/climbing on a weekday so maybe I will luck out and get a site inside the park. If not, somewhere nearby....

If the August time frame looks good to you, let's talk.

Anyone else wanting to hike in Baxter during that time frame should feel free to contact me as well.

Wayne

Hi BigEarl,
Are you planning on doing the Bigelows? I would really like to get them done this summer. I did them, sort of, a LONG time ago. Long story. Needless to say, I would be very interested in doing them again, as an adult, probably with a working compass and a MAP! :eek:
Good luck on your quest, and hope you are feeling well.
Christine

Memorial Day Weekend Bigelow Hike

chinooktrail said:
Hi BigEarl,
Are you planning on doing the Bigelows? I would really like to get them done this summer. I did them, sort of, a LONG time ago.
Christine

Hi all, we have tentative plans to hike the Bigelows via the loop with Horn Pond, the south and north horns and west and avery and down the fire warden's trail. First choice is Sat of Memorial Day weekend, with second choice being Sunday. It will be a slow pace for a number of reasons. We plan to start by 7. We may make alternate plans (Crockers) if the forecast is unfavorable.

Hi All,

Because of conditions beyond my control that surfaced yesterday I will be unable to hike this weekend. Most likely not for some time. I am hopeful the current distraction will be resolved quickly allowing my routine to get back to normal. Unfortunately, I may be out for an extended period. As soon as I'm back in the game I'll check in.

Earl

Hope all is ok. We will still be here when you are ready to lace up the boots! :)