Hiking Washington/Presis

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro

Reaction score
Thinking of playing hookey Thurs/Fri and hiking Washington and one of the other Presis - wx looks pristine - 70's in the valley and low 40's in the mountains without much chance of precip.

Can anyone suggest their favorite full day non-Mt. Washington hike in the area? For the day I climb Washington, I'll probably go up Tucks-Lion Head and come down Boot Spurr. FWIW, I've been up once in the winter, but want to see the hills without snow for a change - I presume I won't need more than convertible pants/shorts and a light shell (just in case) for benign weather.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jefferson and Adams
Jefferson/Clay via Ridge of the Caps
Adams via Lowe's Path
Adams via King Ravine
Eisenhower via Edmands Path
Madison via Howker Ridge
Madison via Mad Gulf and Osgood Ridge

If the weather is nice, there's really no bad option. The weather report is no guarentee of nice weather, I carry much more than just a light shell and convertable pants. I never go above treeline without hat and gloves, insulation layers top and bottom, and emergency gear. Sure, it often never leaves the pack, but it's much better to carry extra than need it and be without.

-dave-

Last edited:
Washington via Huntington's is a great way, but be forewarned - it's more of a climb than a hike! Very Steep!

Using your criteria Id offer this; Up Ammonoosuc Ravine to Monroe then north over Washington and down Jewell.
Weather and time permitting you could add Franklin and Ike on the front and Clay on the back.