Hiking with a ShamWow

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkJ

Reaction score
Yes,I actually fell for that lame commercial and got a ShamWow.It works ok but wait there's more.....you get those mini Shamwows too.I usually bring 3extra hiking shirts to change into since I sweat alot,plus a sweat rag to use.Not anymore ,cause the mini-shamwow's really work mopping up my sweat.No more frozen sweat rag stuffed in my pack either because when you wring the shamwow out all the water really does go away.I'm down to just 1 extra shirt and my comfort zone is much better.If they made a hiking shirt out this stuff I would buy several.
They claim to be made in Germany.Anyone know if Schoeller is a German company?I'm wondering if it might be similar material.Has anyone else has tried this,I'm pretty happy about it.:)

Cool, I was thinking of doing the same thing! Hey, if they can suck the soda up through the rug maybe you don't even have to take your shirt off!:D:confused::D

Similar vein, not quite as sexy as the ShamWow... I bought a little CoolMax skull-cap, designed for use under a biking helmet. It's called a "sweat-vac", and lives up to its name.

On humid days, I have long suffered horrendously from sweat running in my eyes, flooding my sunglasses, etc. It's really nasty. The sweat-vac skull cap absorbs and breathes off a huge volume of perspiration, and you (much to my wife's disgust) can take it off and ring it out for a fresh start.

I think Schoeller is a Swiss company. There are earlier threads on this. Lots of garments are available made with a veriety of fabrics made by Schoeller.

Similar vein, not quite as sexy as the ShamWow... I bought a little CoolMax skull-cap, designed for use under a biking helmet. It's called a "sweat-vac", and lives up to its name.

On humid days, I have long suffered horrendously from sweat running in my eyes, flooding my sunglasses, etc. It's really nasty. The sweat-vac skull cap absorbs and breathes off a huge volume of perspiration, and you (much to my wife's disgust) can take it off and ring it out for a fresh start.
I've actually thought about having the doctor install gutters going around my head. I got the inspiration when I looked at my house once and realized that the rain doesn't just pour off the roof, it goes down the gutters and gets distributed elsewhere. Why can't I have that, I asked? I found a dude in Chinatown in Boston who said he'd do it for $100 -- said he'd actually use my own DNA and stuff and has his own cloning lab; assured me that I won't look like a freak yet be more functional than ever.

-Dr. Wu

I've actually thought about having the doctor install gutters going around my head. I got the inspiration when I looked at my house once and realized that the rain doesn't just pour off the roof, it goes down the gutters and gets distributed elsewhere. Why can't I have that, I asked? I found a dude in Chinatown in Boston who said he'd do it for $100 -- said he'd actually use my own DNA and stuff and has his own cloning lab; assured me that I won't look like a freak yet be more functional than ever.

-Dr. Wu
Yeah, well wait and see what happens when you have to clean out the leaves or you get ice dams and water backs up into your head ... mmmm ... how bad can THAT get? :D

Based on my experience with brimmed hats like my "aunt tillie", I think you'll need downspouts, too, or extra sham, wows.

I got the inspiration when I looked at my house once and realized that the rain doesn't just pour off the roof, it goes down the gutters and gets distributed elsewhere.

Assuming you put the downspout to the rear, though, wouldn't that cause some issues for folks behind you on the trail? Basically, you'd be leaving a continuous wet track like a snail. And if you're really a hot hiker, you'd be leaving an ice-slick up the middle of the trail in the winter.

Other than that, I really can't see anything wrong with your plan, though.

Yeah, well wait and see what happens when you have to clean out the leaves or you get ice dams and water backs up into your head ... mmmm ... how bad can THAT get? :D

Based on my experience with brimmed hats like my "aunt tillie", I think you'll need downspouts, too, or extra sham, wows.
Try a tricorne hat--it has built-in gutters and spouts...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tricorne

Doug