Hiking with your K9

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I take my dog as often as I can. She is used to it and loves it. She'll often sleep under a fir tree.

I have spent my fair share of time around vets offices (remodeling). I tend to observe things. (I know, I should be working...) Once I noticed that an assistant had cut the quills off before getting ready to pull them out. First time, and not a lick of common sense yet. She cut them flush with the skin of the dog. Not just the very tip..... Poor dog. I felt for the vet who learned of this and had to pull the quills without very much to grab ahold of....

Back to the dogs and injuries. You do have to watch for them coming up lame. Mine has, and it happens more as they get older. Shorter hikes, less downhill (the impact is hard on the shoulder joints), and an occasional aspirin. Do I plan to leave her at home? Not so long as she just comes up a little lame. I come up a little lame every now and then, and I ain't staying home.

As far as how likely the dog is to be injured: Back in school, how many kids did you see with casts? And in your childhood, how many dogs do you know of that had broken legs? Sure, it can happen, and does. But just because your dog is in the woods does not mean they will be injured. My dog heads for the woods daily. Sometimes she rolls in something :eek: , or takes a while to come back.

And just watch how she acts when we grab our back pack. She even knows the difference between our cross country skiis and downhill skiis.

Cinder is a NH 4k dog also. She drinks from my camelback hose. She likes to stay out front but will come back when thursty and give me the "I need a drink look". I carry a doggy first aid kit that I have put together with the help of a vet friend. It mainly consists of a pair of scissors, self sticking cling/gauze wrap, antibiotic cream for K9's , duct tape and an extra pair of hiking socks. We rescued a golden from Mt. Madison a couple of years ago. She had started out up the Caps Ridge Trail over Jefferson and by the time she was headed down Madison her pads on her paws were literally hangin off. She was refusing to go another step. Someone mentioned about the poor lady with the dog who wouldn't go any more. So we went over and lent a hand. I used a piece of gauze on each paw and then put the cling gauze over it. One strip going under and up front and back to the first joint. Another piece going under and up each side to the first joint. Then you wrap a third piece around the strips going up and fix the end with a little duct tape. This is how they wrap horses legs. We then put an extra hiking sock over each paw and used a little more duct tape to make them secure. Ginger (the golden retriever) was OK with all this and ready to go when a hut worker showed up with the backpack they use to carry the folding backboard. They put Ginger in and carried her down to the hut. From here she was Ok to go down Valley Way where I had my car parked. On the way down she eventually lost all 4 socks but the wraps stayed in place until we reached the car. I gave her and her Mom a ride to the Caps Ridge trail head and got a nice thank- you note that she was going to be OK. I have since had to tape one of Cinders paws on the way down the Caps Ridge Trail after going over to Adams from there. She does great in the winter but we have bought her a coat this year as it has been pretty cold. Being a black lab overheating in the summer is a bigger problem. I always carry a spare bottle that I can fill up at any stream and use it only for her as it is not filtered. I always have a folding dog bowl also. She eats twice as much on a hiking day as she would on a normal day.
When Cinder has had enough and wants to go back she will get in front of me on the trail and sit down, blocking the way. This is her way of saying "No more". I always listen to her. Good Luck with your dog and I hope he/she is as good of a hiking partner as mine is. Nancy

Talk of insect repellant brings a question to mind: how many of you use frontline or a similar product for flea/tick protection? I've started using this due to the increase in tick borne illnesses.

pedxing said:
Talk of insect repellant brings a question to mind: how many of you use frontline or a similar product for flea/tick protection? I've started using this due to the increase in tick borne illnesses.
Yes - currently using Frontline. In fact, just got an email reminder notice from 1800PetMeds for another 3-pack.

Our dogs are in the woods daily. We have used Frontline and then Frontline Plus since they first became available. It doesn't eliminate the risk 100% -- my late German Shepherd Dog still had a tick-borne disease a few years back that nearly took him. However, it greatly reduces the incidence of ticks on our dogs. And you'll have zero flea problems as a side benefit (you should keep up with the frequent vacuuming also.)

FrontLine K/A

FrontLine-TopSpot will also eliminate an existing flea problem in a house by eliminating the next generation of fleas living in a carpet that use the host (dog) as a food source thereby getting sterilized when they feed.

My vet told me that another product which helps keep fleas down in bedding/rugs where your dog sleeps is diatamaceous earth (DE), which is the filter powder used in pool filters. Apparently it's ground silica (reefs?) - something about it interferes with the fleas external skeleton. Doesn't eliminate them, but helps in controlling them. Many years ago, in the days of not one but two Newfs, the flea population got away from us (maybe the 6 cats played a role as well) and the DE helped. Doesn't take much, just a light sprinkle on carpets/floors where your dog(s) sleeps. The DE is non-toxic to your dogs, cats, etc.

Surprisingly, where we live now (the desert of California) there are no fleas. Plenty of other creepy/crawlies (some pretty scary), but not enough moisture for fleas.

Another Frontline Plus convert here.

I hate the idea of using chemicals on my dog, but started after I learned he was diagnosed with lyme disease.

I choose Frontline Plus because my (admittedly laymen's) research shows it to be the safest for cats, which my house also includes. My cats occasionally groom Dugan four-legs, which means that safety for cats had to be a consideration for us.

When treating for fleas, remember that the most important part is to treat the environment (blankets, bedding), rather than the animal (flea collar). Fleas spend most of their time OFF the host rather than on.

I hate the idea of using chemicals on my dog

I too, hate the idea of chemicalizing my dog. But long ago, I made a decision to do it anyways. I figured that a life shortened by even a year, but without the constant itching and scratching adds up to an overall better quality of life. And since I was going to chenicalize my dog, I might as well go with something that would really work. Oh she's plenty happy and healthy at 11 years old, although she does come up lame every now and then.

I treat myself the same way. I loathe the thought of chemicals. Generally cover up in the sun (Have you ever read the label on sunblocks?). Also, when I do need deet I go for the really good stuff. Since I'm gonna do it anyway, it may as well be plenty effective.

Giardia?

I'm a curious non-dog person. I noticed that some of your dogs drink stream water. Do they get giardia like people do or is this not a problem for them?

dclynch said:
I'm a curious non-dog person. I noticed that some of your dogs drink stream water. Do they get giardia like people do or is this not a problem for them?
To the best of my knowledge, no. I say this assuming giarda in dogs would cause the same symptoms was in humans, and last approx the same time. If that's the case, my current Newfie (and his predecessors) have not had giardia. But, I'm not a vet. Sometimes his stools are loose, but that's usually caused by sneaking a few mouthful's of the cats' food (that stuff would make me sick also!)

My dog has a heavy coat, and frequently lays in brooks, streams, mud puddles in order to cool off. He's somewhat selective where he drinks, stopping if the source is muddy or brackish. Sometimes I've seen posts from people who don't let their dogs drink on the trail, but I'd find that nearly impossible, especially if the dog needs the water to cool down.

K9 Advantix is also advertised to protect against mosquitos, and it seems to work against black flies as well. I've been using that on my dog for a year and a half (she's 2) and it seems to agree well with her. A word of caution: It is toxic to cats

I've never used Frontline plus, so I can't vouch for that brand.

Dogs can get Giardia the same way humans can. I've attempted to keep my lab out of streams and had no luck. I've learned to keep a close eye on him (and stool) for a few days after a hike.

I have noticed that my dog will occasionally pass up a stream that looks perfectly fine to me and I wonder why. Maybe they have a sense that tells them if a stream is tainted?

I've learned that if my dog won't dring it, neither will I, even if it treated.

My, admittedly limited, understanding is that roughly one in seven dogs has giardia and the prevelance in puppies is about double that. Dogs seem to develop a resistance and indoor dogs are more susceptible than outdoor dogs. To me this tells me that my dogs are at greter risk of getting giardia around town - especially hanging out with other dogs - than drinking from mountain streams. Puddles in parks where dogs hang out, as well as the usual social sniffing and licking are bigger risks... as well as rain puddles in the parks (which I do work to keep my dogs from drinking from).

Furthermore, when my older dog has gone backpacking with me - she has always preferred running water to water in a bowl and dehydration is a bigger concern. Since I live in a city and obey the laws, I get to monitor her for signs of intestinal disturbance. I haven't noted any problems after drinking from streams.

One last thing: It seems that people are not really clear on the various species of Giardia and the different degrees of susceptibility to different giardia among differing species of host mammals.

Yes, dogs can get giardia. They are; however, less susceptible than humans. The symptoms to watch for are the same: abdominal discomfort and severe diarrhea. I wouldn't be concerned about a day or two of loose stool.

There is a canine vaccine available. I haven't researched it much.

Funny, my current dog hates the water. When crossing streams, she jumps rock-to-rock like a human. Rather comical. She will drink from a stream, but it has to not be rushing too fast. Yes...she is neurotic.

We rescued a beautiful abandoned Black Lab in December. We know almost nothing about him except that he is healthy. We don't know how old he is (we have 2 different estimates from 2 different Vets) or what his physical capabilities are. So we're starting out easy to see what Cody can do.

I've taken him on an easy 6-mile hike in the woods, and he loved that. He gets walked a mile or two nearly every day. Next, I'll find out how he feels about the water, because I'd like to take him on some canoe trips with me. He'll get the recommended heartworm treatment, and we'll take him on some long hikes in the spring to see how he handles a little elevation gain. It's fun having a dog again after 2 years without. :D

My dog drinks from everywhere. I have to watch her on the roadside, as I am a little concerned about antifreeze. Seems it is like the Mexicans, who drink the water down there and never get sick as their system is acclimated to it.

Excellent advice thus far. A particular chuckle over the doggie water bottle issue :) I have almost drank out of the dog's water bottle. Yuck! I recycle what they don't drink from their bowl back into their bottle on dry trails.

A hopeful thought on doggie giardia: my neighbor's NH hiking dog never had it in the Whites, but contracted it out West. I know we probably do have it here, but it was somewhat comforting to know that he never picked it up in our neck of the woods.

Bristol said:
...I almost wonder if I just worry to much about the dogs wellbeing... but I would not want to do anything that put her in harms way....

I applaude your concern for your dog. It's great that you are looking out for her best interests.

I think I understand your worries and fears -- being just a bit obbessive about my own dogs. My decisions are based on what is best for them. For example, although I hiked all the NH 4k's, my dogs did not. They only hiked what I thought they were capable of (both have some degree of joint problems). And what I thought I was capable of doing with them. My overall concern was that I would never leave my dog behind, therefore I would only take them when I knew I could safely get them back out again, particularly when going solo.

My biggest concern is usually not wildlife encounters. We've only had one bad wildlife encounter, and then only because I was standing dumbfounded on a stream bank trying to figure out how a seal managed to find it's way into a knee deep NH rill. My bad. It was a river otter, and it didn't want to play with my Labrador. Before I could call the dog, he and the otter connected. It took 50 stitches to close the dog's chest wounds. I was horrified. Who would have thought such a thing could happen? Unfortunely, it can. That's the chance we take taking our dogs out and allowing them off-leash.

So what do I worry about the most? Encounters with dogs that "aren't good with other dogs". From my experience, that's a greater risk. [and we'll leave it at that....]

And aside from all the possible worries and few bad moments, I've never regretted taking my dogs along. Some days as I trudge along, just watching my dogs bound along the trail, tails wagging, I am reminded of the simple joys of just being alive and out in the woods.

Last edited:
Kumbaya

Kumbaya, my Lord, kumbaya.

Oooh Lord, kumbaya. :D