Hikinkg friends for some one who has been badly injured and in CO

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RGF1

Reaction score
Avatar. The Maroon Bells . I live In NH and Near
Hikinkg friendsin NH and CO for some one who has been badly injured

I have suffered a number of serious injuries in the past year and a half there is a very real possibility that I may never do many if any back packing again. One of the injuries is in my spine. . No way am I having surgery on my neck and spine there is a 80 % chance of never walking again so I am choosing to take very potent pain drugs . I already take them can day hike and do some winter climbing but I may never be able to take my tent and such and go out for a few days. .I do love to camp out in the backcountry. I also enjoy going to places such as Crag camp or Gery Knob in the winter. But it looks like I that might be the very limit of my winter climbing It makes me sad. But at least I can do some thing.
I am having a hard time with thi of course. But I have been told I will be able to carry 30 lbs. or less on some hikes, I have had serious damage to my right arm in a logging accident. I hit a tree with nail in it. I was severely injured I ma lucky my saw did not hit me and all the safety stuff worked as it was a very powerful saw a Stihl MS 660 with a 34 inch bar Pete Hickey will know what it is.
I want to ask about people willing ot hike with some one who has injuries and is not gong to be very fast and can understand that I might not be able to go so far. I can probably get to Crag Camp. With enough to pass the night. And even a few cold beers if I do not pack my tent. I am having a hard time dealing with this really. I want to know if one people would be willing to go ot a place like Crag Camp, a favorite place. And understands I might not be a as fast as some and I have to take some strong meds who would be willing oit hike with me . I am a good cook if that helps.
I am also going to Snowmass/ Aspen But I will be taking a room this coming June enf of the month . Mostly because I know the area and can climb to some cool places and 14 k peaks w/o back packing or a long drive.
I would like ot know if some one would be interested in going to Aspen/Snowmass really (the prices and air fare are not so bad PM or email me about this) I can get a nice e tent site also if I get enough advance notice along with a room . . I am not really about this but I love mountains too much to give it up.
Right now though I just would like to have some one to hike with to a place such as Crag Camp. I can trade all my experience for your companionship and understanding. I am very uncomfortable posting about my climbing. I feel like I am boasting. A few know what I have done. I am very knowledgeable of the Whites the Elk range in CO the Grand Teton and Denali . As I mentioned I am will be out in Co in late June. I would love to share the Elks with some one. But I doubt I can back pack so It would be day hikes or may e a very short backpack if I can do it IE Snowmas lake .or Conundrum Hot Springs I will promise a 14 K peak probably La Plata A favorite and not difficult climb but very beautiful. or Castle not bad and the views are incredible . If I feel ok Pyramid peak my favorite to climb because of views and it is not very far from the parking lot at Maroon Lake. I am also a peak steward of Pyramid.
I can give more details about Colorado if you are interested and would like to take some shorter hikes with me. Right now I am sort of devastated at what my MDs have said I am hoping for the best and will probably be having surgery on my arm and shoulder late October ,November. I hope it is not to bad.
Please send me a PM or email if you would like to hike and are not a speed daemon..
I have nothing against the speed daemons at all. I wish I could still hike as fast as I could not too long ago
I have a lot of experience and am willing to share it along with a cold beer and a good conversation during and at the end of A hike. Not mention I would love to hang out a Crag and bag Adams for the , I do not know how many times .

Peak foliage is a great time thank you all . King Ravine is really nice in late September.
Rick

Last edited:
My friend John and I are planning several trips to Crag Camp this winter. I will PM you when we set a date. We are both getting a little long in the tooth, so do not worry about speed.

You may wish to hook up with this group. They provide good outdoor experiences for people with and without physical and developmental disabilites. With your experience you'd probably be a good trip leader.

Outdoor Explorations

This group also connects you with others of similar interests. It's where I met a friend, a high functioning quadraplegic, with whom I kayak regularly.

Hey rick, Ive got a deal for you. After 20+ yrs in the Whites IVe never stayed at Crag camp, this winter Id be glad to go, regardless of speed taken to get their, pm when the time comes you want to go I hike and climb every week so Im always looking for something to do. Get me this winter because IM going back to CO this spring, I miss the BIG peaks to much. :eek:

Don't give up!
A number of years ago I read an article in Outside Magazine about a woman in her late 40's woman who had been awarded the "Outsider of the Year" award. She had a horrific accident on Stratton mountain while skiing and was not found immediately. She had serious back injuries, was in a wheelchair and told that she would never walk again. She refused surgery (for the same reasons you are) and proceeded to research her options. It wasn't easy. She finally found a very skilled physical therapist who was willing to give it a go. If I remember correctly it took several years and much hard work to get her back. It was a very painful ordeal but in the end she won the Ironman triathalon in Hawaii. I still remember her name. Joni Vanderveen Dunn.
Not to long ago I met another woman at our fitness center in town and she was told she would never walk again. She started by walking a few steps with a cane, falling, getting up, and gradually inceasing her distance. When I saw her she was walking without her cane and could walk several miles.
I am very sorry that you are injured but I hope these stories give you hope.
It sounds like you are a very determined individual and very often that's half the battle.

Reactions: yam
I ditto Maddy's reply. I was paralyzed across the upper right side of my body with a ruptured C4/5 disk in 1993, but I did not rule out surgery. I allowed a neurosurgeon to go in with a knife (all done microscopically) to decompress the nerve roots with a partial lamenectomy (sp?). I thought that I would never be able to backpack again. But, these surgeons can perform miracles now. Although I gave up rock and ice climbing on the sharp end of the rope, being able to hike and backpack has made all the difference in my life. Good luck. And, yes, I also would love to spend a winter night in either Crag or Gray Knob, which I have not done since they were rebuilt. So, please post plans here, anyone, when the time comes.

Having spent a bunch of time in Hospital and in Rehab last year, my heart goes out to you. Some VFTT'ers were very kind in helping me get back into the saddle again and were patient with my limitations as I recoverd (Poison Ivy and Artex, for example), so I'm definitely happy to have an opportunity to pass that along for hikes in New England at your pace. CO isn't possible for me anytime soon, but I second the suggestion to try the regional board and the "find a hiking partner" board at backpacker.com.

Last edited:
RGF 1,

Although I've never had a serious injury, I do sympathize with you.
The thought of someone telling me I could never backpack again would be devastating.
I would be interested in doing a hike sometime, as I am slow on the up's.
Hell, I'll even carry some of your gear!
It would be cool to chat about Colorado, as I bagged my first 14kr's two weeks ago, and I plan on making this a annual trip now.

Steve

Thank you ALL for you very kind replies. I will find out just how bad my injuries are I am dreading the 26th. . I do plan to try ot take a day hike I really want ot see the mountians with the fall foliaige hopefully a dusting of snow on the peaks . . I do fear surgery on my spine . who wound not ? I can handle my arm and shoulder. . I would even camp at a camp ground . I
do have good amuont of dry pine to burn for a fire,
I wil be lslower for a while. I cannot even ride my bike though I do walk and take shot hikes with a butt pack and some snacks . I got a ok photo of a owl yesterday.
Steve O what 14 K peak did you climb ? I will be in Aspen Snowmass later mostly to vist(a relative, SAR buddies and relax afer my surgery if I have to have it done looks like it as of today :( ( Imight have it done there as they do alot of this kind of surgery there I have no idea why :rolleyes: some very good orhopedic suegons work there. the spine stuff is out for now . ) I might climb Elbert If I can , but in June I plan a good long trip unless I cannot go. I hope to climb up a few favorites such as La Plata a very scenic hike to a 14k peak
If I can probably South Maroon on the easier South ridge route I know it well having done it over 5 times ! and bell coerd but I think that is out as it is a sustained 2,000 ft 45 - 60 degree snow +ice cllimb . Of course I want ot Climb Pryamid Peak . if I can It is prrbably my favorite mountain, I think I have climbed it over 10 times I love the view from the top , pun intended to climb. I hope I can handle class 4 climbing if not well I will just do Castle Peak a nice 14 k peak with a cool snow climb that is not technical or at least the way I do it is,not, but then it is not even a route in a guide book .
Once again thanks to ALL . It is what seperates VFFT from other places .

I am thinking of Garfiled for it views the frist week end of October. It would be cool to see a the pemi with all the colores and some snow on the Franconia ridge and the Presis .
Rick

OH Pedxing the quote is a favorite of mine . I read a lot of Nietzsche hiking for some reason . I like the quote because it si so true, often people become just what the are against . It is all to easy .

Last edited:
LOL! You're very right and it is a great quote. Reading Nietzsche while hiking makes great sense, after all Zarathustra is a trip report right? Guy hangs out in the mountains, takes a few town days - tries to communicate with the locals and hikes back into the mountains with a coupla thru-hiker types.