HOT,HAZY & HUMID this weekend

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For some reason the heat dosn't "get" to me all that much. In town, I still go running in the blazing noonday sun in spite of what conventional wisdom says.

On the trail I do all of what has been mentioned already plus I leave my car running all day and the A/C on full blast. This way, the car is nice and cool when I get back to it 8 hours later.

:)

You didn't really believe that did you? Oh yeah, I love dunking my head and feet in a steam. But not at the same time.

A great weekend for Ice Gulch in Randolph. Natural air conditioning at its best!. Always intersting how the fog banks form at the interface between the cold air and the hot air.

To beat the heat I sometimes drive up the auto road and spend the day hiking above treeline. Sometimes I take a book and find a nice place to read, like that little ledge about 1/4 of the way down the Huntington headwall.
Then watch the shadows creep across the Northern Peaks as I drive down the road just before it closes.

Another place with natural air conditioning- Mahoosuc Notch. I always marvel when you get up there by the trail junction, go around that corner and it feels like the freezer door was left open. But, sigh, I'm not headed there tomorrow.

Dugan said:
Thanks for the pic Jim. I get a chill just remembering that -10 morning...

ps Is Dugan 4-legs handsome, or what?

Ya THANKS Jim :( ! I had just gotten over my last "is it winter yet" tantrum and you go and get me going again :D :D

Doin the Hancocks Sunday. Should not be too bad. Lots of water on hand down low to use with the filter. Ahhhh, I can feel the sweat dripping down already :rolleyes: .

Brian

peakbagger said:
A great weekend for Ice Gulch in Randolph. Natural air conditioning at its best!. Always intersting how the fog banks form at the interface between the cold air and the hot air.

Is it true that there is ice in there year round?

Yes there is ice year round, usually this time of year with a bit of searching you can find snowball material. I usually suggest first timers bring gloves and sweaters as it can get cool. BTW there is controversy regarding which way to do the loop, I like to get the climbing done early so I go in to the head of the gulch and walk down it (so I do the route clockwise)Some people insist on climbing up it. Just watch you step, there are sections that require jumping over deep crevices and using you hands (and an occasional butt slide). The extra walk to Pembamouk falls is worth the extra few minutes.

I am oncall this weekend so I cant leave the house. I was just out cleaning the car in the garage and I was sweating like a pig. You all be carefull out there ya hear!

The ice caves in King Ravine were a real treat in 90 degree August heat 2 years ago.
Ice caves

I didn't want to go back into the sun. When I did, my glasses fogged up instantly in mid step and I damn near killed myself.

Fellow fool McCoon and I will be returning to continue our cancelled presi hut hop from last year.

Jefferson-->Pierce via Lake of the Clouds hut.

I don't care how hot it is... I'm going to slowly plod up daydreaming of cooler summit temps. Early start, lotsa water, slow pace, and a stubborn determination to finish.

Thanks in part to quiting smoking, I have 20 extra lbs of 'training weight' on me. I can't wait to be gasping in that clean air. I lower the bar for everyone... or at least will provide a cautionary tale. :rolleyes:

Just add water.

I did Monadnock up the Pumpelly trail yesterday. No added water on that trail! Just bring a lot of my own and some sunscreen (and deet) and I'm okay. I sweat something awful -- and can never get used to how it runs off my nose or chin -- but it's all good.

As long as I have enough water!

My solution.....just don't hike in the heat! ;) No typically I don't hike in the summer, it's just too damm hot for it. I like the cooler fall hikes.

In the summer I like to swim, kayak(which can be pretty hot too, but swimming usually goes along with that), or anything else to try to stay cool.

Was just up to Crawford Notch for an overnighter last night with my daughter, her husband, his two kids, my husband(of course), and dog Suzy. Spent most of the time in the nice cool Saco River....uuummmm very nice!!! It was hard to leave. My daughter and husband are going to be there all week. I wish I could.

Well, it wasn't that bad after all! I hiked Edmand's Path to Crawford Path to Mt. Monroe on Saturday. An early start made for comfortable climbing, and a steady breeze kept things comfortable along the ridge. Lots of alpine flowers, big views, chatting with a few passers-by, a little downhill bushwacking (no antlers :( ), ice-cold Blackbeary Wheat waiting in the cooler. :), a dip in the Jefferson Brook...Ah, summer!!!

Happy Trail

Earlier start works for me. I like to get most of my climbing done before it gets too hot. I usually try to hit the trailhead at first light or even earlier sometimes. As an added bonus I tend to summit well before others show up.

I also use the 'Clint Eastwood Trick' that was mentioned earlier in this thread.

Drink a ton - water and gatorade - 5-6 liters at least...I sweat a lot too.

Starting early is the key - and by early I mean 4am - 6:30-7 is late on a hot day. Once last year we started at 2:30 am and it was already over 80 degrees...a real bad sign! :eek:

Ah, cold front has pushed through up here in Maine and it's a touch cooler out. Forecast looks significantly cooler through the weekend, albeit with some rain thrown in. Should be good hiking this weekend (too bad I can't get out though). :eek: