Hough for our W-46

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PackMule

Reaction score
After going after attempting the Dix range in may ways many times and being denied many many times Jason Deluca and I finally conquered our last remaining winter peak. Hough was our goal and we decided to maximize our chances of getting it by going over Dix rather then taking Lillian Brook.

We started out late from a packed parking lot hoping that we get a break and not have to break trail through the heavy wet snow. We quickly caught the group of 8 in front of us to find virgin snow all the way to Hough. There were faint tracks from some folks that came in the night before so it was not so bad.

We decided to take the slide on the advice of some joker who has no clue what blowdown is. We were informed that if we thought the blowdown on the way in was bad, the trail up the slide was 10x's worse. We took the rt slide to the top and then starting cutting over toward the trail. The snow had a real firm surface in places but one misstep and we would go crashing though. Finally meeting up with it below the summit.

We quickly passed by the summit on our way to Hough. There was a faint trail from someone the day before that was right on the money. It did crash through some trees and such but it is a real good route and easy to fallow. We made it to Hough in decent time and spent about 30m on top enjoying not view what so ever.

Both Jay and I took out our signs took a few pictures and had some lunch. After the winds picked up a bit we headed down deciding to go back over Dix and out round pond. On the way back over we ran into a guy in the group of 8 who also got his W but it was on Dix. Congratulations to him.

Just in time, as we got back to the Beckhorn the clouds started to clear and the sun came out and we got some awesome views of the Range and Giant/RPR.

We decided to take the traditional trail down Dix rather then the slide. We think it was a better choice, the butt sliding was awesome. I think other then Allen this is one of the best butt slides in the peaks.

We got out at just about 7:00, it ended up being a longer day then we had thought but we felt good the whole trip back finally finishing up our Winter……

From the sounds of it there will be quite a few in this years class. Congratulations to every who has finished up this year.

Congrats! Hough was a toughie for us last winter. We took the same path that you did, more or less. We skipped the slide. I do remember several years ago, coming down from Dix on the trail, several of us were sliding. I came around a corner and had to stop quickly, because the guy in front of me, (who has just finished his W46 on Hough), was caught by his snowshoe in a tree branch, and he was hanging upside down in front of me, laughing!

Congratulations... finally! I know what you mean about repeated attempts in the Dixes. I got up Dix Friday, hoping for 4 peaks. I couldn't see a good path down toward Hough and, being a solo hiker, opted to go conservative and turned back. Glad you made it! The skiers who were camped at the base of the slide hauled sleds in there - they told me that because of all the trees and branches littering the trail, it took them 8 hours to reach the lean-to! :eek:

Last edited:
PackMule, Congrats on your Winter Finish! 3/16 was the last weekend day of this winter, so you must be relieved to have gotten it at the last (practical) minute.
If you haven't made a reservation for the Adirondack winter hiker's gathering in lLake Placid on 3/29, there is actually still some time. If you notify Peggy by tomorrow, Sunday, 3/23, and commit to paying even if for some reason you can't make it, then you're in. She has extended the deadline twice, not counting the original 3/1 to 3/15 extension which may have been my misunderstanding or typo.
You can reach Peggy at [email protected] or (518)523-1341
All the other details are at http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19112