How do the men that use this site get their wives/gf to "allow" them to hike?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neither my wife or my girlfriend hike. My wife doesn't usually mind if I go away hiking, but my girlfriend often does. I tell my girlfriend that I have to stay home with my wife for a few days, and tell my wife I'm going to be spending a few days with my girlfriend (they usually don't talk to each other). Then I go hiking in peace.

Works for me.

Pete-- you're killing me.

My wife actually forces me to get out once a week. I'm hell to live with if I don't. There's only so much house work one can tollerate over a weekend.

THANKS GUYS AND GIRLS

I have 2 children now and 1 on the way (any day now).

I can't wait until they are old enough to go hiking with me!

I like all the ideas you gave me.

Comprise seems best, but I'll throw a little guilt into the recipe for flavor!

Brent, My daughters started hiking around the age of three (meaning not in a pack). Started with Wachusett, Crow Hill, and Watatic. Yes it did take a bit of time to go up and down but and I really wanted to do bigger mountains but in the long run I believe it will work out for the best. Last year we did Tecumsah and Welch/Dickey. THEY LOVED IT!!! I plan on taking the two oldest (6 & 8) on over night trips with me this year and hopefully the youngest (2.5) will do a small peak on her own this year (Gap Mt.?)

If weather permits the whole clan will bag a peak this comming Sunday.

If I had a husband, I wouldn't "insist" on hiking with him every time he went out - I'd miss my solo adventures! And I have my own passion for backpacking so I wouldn't need to enjoy his.
:D

Now where's that leki... ;)

Re: How do the men that use this site get their wives/gf to "allow" them to hike?

BrentD22 said:
I need to hike, but my wife is not into it. She says it's not fair. Well just cause she doesn't want to go why should I loose out?

Please give me some real life suggestions!

This is the opposing view -- I'm out there, the hubby is usually at home.

I don't leave him with the kids. "Our" only kid is 20 years old. I leave him taking care of the dogs, who have physical problems which prevent them from joining in on more strenous hikes.

The suggestion would be the same as some others: do a few family hikes for the whole group. That works well for us.

For the bigger trips, compromise is key. I've made it clear how much I need to be out there. I support my husband's ambitions 100%, whatever they are. I expect the same. No compromise there. Including leaving him behind to do a 21 mile overnight with a 20-something rather studly male friend. The hubby wasn't thrilled about it, but is secure enough to realize that if I wanted to be meeting other men at night, it wouldn't be after a 12 mile sweaty slog.

We all have our thing. I've had to reinforce the fact that this is MY thing. If the hubby could put up our former life of me flying all over the place, being gone for weeks at a time with male co-workers, he can deal with the fact that I go out in the woods, by myself or with other men. We've talked about this -- he knows how much hiking means to me. If it takes reinforcing this issue now and again, so be it. If it keeps me on the trail, it's all worth it.

I wish you a good compromise and many miles of happy trails.

I guess I am lucky because my wife supports my hiking 100%. We did Slide Mtn. and she thought it was worse than labor( we have 2 kids). Needless to say she walks the finger lakes trails w/ me but no mtns. Inspite of my grumbles, I support her hobbies too. I'm section hiking the Long trail, and this year my future son-in-law is coming for the week.Of course the joke is that after a week w/ me there won't be a wedding. Oh well then we'll throw one heck of a 25th anniversary party. My wife wants me to get out and hike, maybe I'm easier to get along w/ when I'm not there

Re: Re: How do the men that use this site get their wives/gf to "allow" them to hike?

Periwinkle said:

...leaving him behind to do a 21 mile overnight with a 20-something rather studly male friend...

You are my hero. :D
veg

By keeping my life insurance policies paid up I find that my wife encourages me to hike. :D

Well here's an UPDATE

Baby number 3 is coming any day now so because I've had to be within 30 mins of my wife and reachable by phone I have not been hiking since Jan or Feb. So basiclly I'm going crazy. Good thing it's black fly season so I at least am not being eatn' alive. I plan on getting back on the trail some time around mid July maybe as late as Aug and then a lot this fall. If anyone knows of some organized hikes around those times please let me know! I plan on bringing the family on it's first camping trip with everyone coming. Wow can you amagine? The wife, 4yrold, 2 yrold, and new born. It's going to be fun! This way I can get out for a couple of day hikes with the 4yrold!

QUID PRO QUO

And that's all folks! :D

By the way- check out the number of hits this thread has gotten! And the number of replies- shiiiit.

BrentD22,
Tuco (Eric) and I and possibly a few others are planning a trip in August in the Pemi Wilderness in NH. We are planning on driving up on Friday, 8/20 and returning either Monday or Tuesday depending on what we decide to do. At this point, the only thing that is certain is we want to do the Bonds, and will most likely start at the Wilderness Trail and head north. Anyway, you're welcome to join us. Here is a link to the thread

Rob

Wedded bliss?

Well, my wife and I have been married (to each other) for almost 38 years and our sons (twins) will be 37 in a couple of months. I dayhiked and overnighted in the Catskills with the "boys" on a pretty regular basis between ages (theirs) 8 and 15 or so and it was a great bonding experience. They developed other interests as they matured, so much of my outdoor pleasure has been solo (here in the NE - in the Sierras it's with West Coast friends).

Wife didn't mind my going with the kids and doesn't mind my going solo now, except for the usual concerns about safety - I follow all the "rules" so she doesn't worry too much.

She loves the outdoors, but only those parts she can drive to :)

She has come along on a few day hikes (Trout Pond, Overlook some others) and has really enjoyed them, but she's still the city kid I married.

When I do solo dayhikes now, I try doing them on weekdays - I've been on my job for a while so I get a lot of vacation time - so we have the weekends together. I take longer trips - like the annual Sierras trek - over long weekends with a couple of days tacked on, during which time she goes to someplace she likes - Palm Springs during the Sierras trips, antiquing with her sister during others. Although it took us a while (several years) to acheive it, we have struck a balance in which we each get to enjoy the things we love to do, sometimes sharing them with each other, sometimes alone or with friends, and we don't keep score.

Wedded bliss . . . YES!

CatskillsYeti said:
Although it took us a while (several years) to acheive it, we have struck a balance in which we each get to enjoy the things we love to do, sometimes sharing them with each other, sometimes alone or with friends, and we don't keep score.
CatskillsYeti and others have pretty well demonstrated that if a couple have plenty of affection and respect for one another, then getting “permission” to hike from one’s marriage partner is just not a real problem over the long haul. That’s the way this has worked for Mrs. Grumpy and me during our nearly 36 years of married life together.

G.

Re: Re: How do the men that use this site get their wives/gf to "allow" them to hike?

Periwinkle said:
Including leaving him behind to do a 21 mile overnight with a 20-something rather studly male friend.

Similar for me. No, not with a studly guy, but with an attractive younger woman. Spending three nights with her whle my wife was home.

I guess since my accident when I was solo hiking, she kind of likes it when I'm with someone.