How many "nights out" do you get?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No where NEAR enough!

Couple of injuries and a move last year, I haven't been out a lot.

Not as many as I'd like. It seems I've ended up doing more dayhikes than backpacks this year. So far, just two nights out in the woods: a backpack to Nauman Tentsite in May and another to Unknown Pond in July. I'm hoping to spend a night or two out in August when I do the Bigelows, not to mention the VFTT gathering in September!

On pace for an average year, about 10-12 so far and will likely end up with 20-25. IMO it's not a real hike unless you spend the night out or at least don't come out of the woods until well after dark ( ;) right Sherp). By far my favorite type of hiking is setting up a "backcountry" base camp for three nights and doing "dayhikes" from there. Hey, do VFTT Gatherings count as "bag nights?" :confused: :D

I'm jealous of you 20, 30, 40 night folks! I manage to squeeze in only 4-5 trips (all one nighters) a year. One is usually a winter trip. I figure I'm just keeping in practice until I retire, when I'll have time to go out a lot more.

sli74 said:
Last year I think I spent about 150-180 nights in a tent or under the stars. That was my best year ever :)

sli74

WOW! STRONG WORK!
:D :D :D

I'M MAXED OUT AT 60 BUT 6 OUT OF 12 MONTHS UNDER THE STARS WOULD BE A GREAT GOAL.

I took a quick tally and I'm at about 23 to 25 so far this year. Won't get many nights out in August, I will be on the ocean as much as possible. Hopefully I'll have an active Fall and hit 50 nights this year.

- darren

Gris said:
By far my favorite type of hiking is setting up a "backcountry" base camp for three nights and doing "dayhikes" from there.

In the past couple of years I have become a fan of this kind of hiking, also. 3 such trips a year is generally the most I can schedule. Only one so far this year.

Once I finish the 48 (Wildcat A on Friday and E. Osceola on Saturday got me up to 44), the list will stop controlling most of my available hiking time, and I expect to be able to get more trips.

BTW, I always sleep better outside than anywhere else.

Steve

Wow! I'm impressed! There are some serious campers here. Seems a lot of the peakbaggers are serious overnighters too.
We have had some real "in-tents" camping experiences in the past few years.
Camping on the beach,under the palm trees in the Brigantine Islands of the Bahamas
Camping in the glacial till area of Aialik Bay,Alaska.
Camping on the 600ft cliffs of Cape Chignecto Nova Scotia,looking down on the Bay of Fundy.

Gotta say that I sleep better when we camp on our sailboat at the mooring in Maine,than anywhere else.
And yes,it is camping on a 21ft swing keel! :D

23 nights so far this year. Mostly backpacking in the Whites but also 9 in the
back yard w/o a tent. It's the best with nothing between you and the stars!

If I count the four nights spent in the hut at Camp Muir on Rainier then I have nine nights out so far this year - since January. I've got two more nights scheduled for later this month. I got a new winter tent this past March, so I should be able to get a few more nights out during the winter now. I'll probably finish the year with about 15 nights out. I haven't been keeping a count but I would guess that over the past 5 years since I really started to hike I have been spending about 12-15 nights a year in a sleeping bag.

Harry,
Do you mean you're working on doing each of those lists in each season? Crikey!
And to think there was a time when just doing the ADK 46, period, was a heavy duty achievement

I've got a new one for ya. Drink one of every brand of each state's and province's micro-brewery beer on each summit.

I've been out under the stars about 10 times so far this year.

Mostly monster day hikes lately when I'm peakbagging. Love to camp/swim/relax when I'm with my wife.

-Shayne

All I can say is..."sacrement" "tabernac" and so on.