How would you do these 2 peaks?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GNR

Reaction score
I've got the next 4 days off, and need Owl's Head and W. Bond for my list(then Jefferson for 48). I'd like to do both this week in a 3 day, 2 night backpack, but can't seem to get a plan that I am happy with, mostly because of too much backtracking. What would folks here do.

I can do a good stretch (15 miles) during a good day, would rather camp at established sites, and can't bushwhack or else I'll end up in Canada. Just some parameters.

Personally, I would park at Lincoln Woods Trailhead and hike up Lincoln Woods to Lincoln Brook Trail and then bag Owl’s Head and camp at 13 falls. The next day I would hike up Twin Brook Trail to Twinway and camp at Guyot campsite. Save West Bond for the sunset that night. The next morning hike out the Bondcliff Tail to the Wilderness Trail and back to your car.

First day: 13.7 with up and down on the Owl’s Head slide.

Second day: 7.5 with out and back on West Bond for the sunset.

Third day: 10.7 back to your car from Guyot.

Last edited:
Mad River's plan seems ideal to me, too.

I was thinking it out before I read Mad River's plan and that is exactly what I was thinking...13 Falls is awesome and it makes for a pretty relaxing day. Minus the slide it is a pretty easy day. The section north of Owl's Head is a little tricky to follow, but I would still do it that way.
Have fun!

GNR, If you are not familiar with 13 Falls, it is basically a backcountry water park. There a several large pools and numerous falls to play in. They also have a common cooking area complete with tarp for inclement weather and a bear box for storing your food. The next day you will be going past the Galehead Hut where you can refill your water and maybe catch some leftover breakfast goodies. The trip to Guyot is a nice walk mostly above tree line after you summit South Twin. Guyot has tent platforms, as well as a shelter and a fresh water spring. Both 13 Falls and Guyot have privies. Do not forget to catch the sunset on West Bond. It is to die for.

Last edited:
MadRiver nailed it. I haven't been to 13 Falls in ten years, but I still remember it fondly. You could do the same trip in reverse, but it is more fun to be on Bondcliff your last day. You can hit Franconia Falls on the way out, too. Of course, depending on the weather, you may want to do Bondcliff the first day, because it has the most exposure (i.e. not many places to dodge lightning bolts).

I'll make it 4, but I'd do the Bushwack to LB tr.

When you leave 13 falls on your 'Easy' day go up the Franconia Brk Tr. When he brook comes back to the trail drop down to the brook and check out the rest of the falls.

Franconia Brook Falls

MadRiver is right on, and West Bond at sunset is incredible. You'll really appreciate it after you do it. There is something magical about being in the middle of the Pemi, on top of a mountain that extends further into the middle, and able to see everything around you. Good luck and enjoy!

That's the way to do the 3 day 2 night backpack. Twin Brook is a nice trail not too steep, similar to Liberty Spring in grade but with a nicer footpath & not as wide. No drining water on Twin Brook but you get it down below & at the Hut.

Since I'm not an Owl's Head fan but love the Bonds, I'd probably do Owl's Head as a day trip, carrying a light day pack & then staying at a motel someplace, hopefully with a whirlpool tub. Then to keep my Bonds experience separate from Owl's Head I'd do the overnight at Guyot. Only choice then would be if I go in via Lincoln Woods or Zealand. Since I have not done it yet from Zealand I might go that way.

Mike, I do recall you doing Bond to Zealand though. I think I gave you my keys ;)

13 Falls. Haven't been there, but for your trip it's dead on perfect. I've heard that the trail from Owl's Head to the site can be a bit tough to follow and a bit wet. Can anyone else confirm?

SherpaKroto said:
Mike, I do recall you doing Bond to Zealand though. I think I gave you my keys ;)

13 Falls. Haven't been there, but for your trip it's dead on perfect. I've heard that the trail from Owl's Head to the site can be a bit tough to follow and a bit wet. Can anyone else confirm?
Yes - I have done it in reverse and I have said if LittleBear had not been there I would still be lost in the Pemi - I think there is a section that has real old axe blazes and there is a spot or two where the trail is in a stream bed and then suddenly leaves the stream bed up the bank - hard to follow all of this because it is not a widely used trail. The key is just to go slow - do not go too far from where you are if you are not sure - look at the map and compass if need be - it should not be that tough, but you need to be careful.

There's a separate thread somewhere about that section of the Lincoln Brook Trail. Do a search on Lincoln Brook Trail and you should come up with it.

Personally, I have never had a problem with this section in either direction but I can see how some people who are used to well defined trail may. Should be easier to follow going north than heading south.

JohnL

I've done OH from the north, both directions. It will get it's wettest once you pass the height of the land. It is not well used so expect many cobwebs :eek: !! If I remember correctly it seemed to hug the east side of the wet/stream areas more so than the west. I truly hated it on the way in to OH, then tolerated it on the way out. Did OH from Galehead Hut. The 13 falls area will be your reward! It hasn't been too wet in general lately, so this may help. If you wanted to avoid it, I would say dump your pack and carry a smaller one around to OH, then backtrack and approach 13 falls from the direct south...don't have my guide handy so i can't remember the trail name. Make sure you check out threads on the non-marked, unofficial trail to the unmarked summit of OH, now that it was recently denuded by the Park Service. Where the cairn near the bottom was, you should 'feel' the space, as it will be 'open', almost campsite-ish feel on your left as you approach from the south, with the brook nearby, since i have not done it from the south, you may want more advice on timing, markers to look for etc. enjoy, ctsparrow