Howker Ridge

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KenC said:
If i did this as a back pack what do you figure the chances of getting a spot at the Valley Way by 2-3PM on a friday would be??

Of course, it depends on what time you start and how fast you hike. I tend to be easily under book time with a day pack, just around or under book time with a full pack, I like to linger a bit on the summits, and I usually get going around 9 a.m. from the trailhead. I would not count on Valley Way by 2-3 in the afternoon at my pace. I'd probably roll in closer to 4-5. I hope that gives you something to compare to.
vegematic

I've know my pace/time pretty well. I'm wondering if Valley Way fills up fast and early given it's small size. I'v never camped there. If it's full it's the hut (not my preference) or a slog over to one of the RMC facilities. I recall that being a difficult area for camping.

Yes, with only two tent platforms it does fill up very early. Saturday for sure, but it is a popular target for those heading in on Friday night as well. If you can get there by 2-3 you are likely to be OK, but it also gives you enough time to look for another site if they are full.

-dave-