Hubba Hubba

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkierSteve

Reaction score
Does anyone own a MSR hubba hubba? If so would you be kind enough to offer up an opinion, good, bad or indifferent? Thanks in advance for sharing the wisedom!!

We have a hubba hubba...

Nice tent...easy to set up...staking NOT required...weighs about 3.5 lbs pack weight.

Is roomier than many 2-person tents (for two people)...both hubby and I can sit up in it to play cards...but, holds to sleeping bags with pads in close quarters...long enough but neither of us are too tall (hubby is about 6 feet).

It does NOT leak (we were at the Perch Thurs and Friday this past week...stayed quite dry...) and is pretty good in wind too. HOWEVER...if there is wind-driven rain...it may get into the corners of the tent due to getting under the fly. It is well ventilated yet holds heat to keep you warm (if that is what you need).

We like it very much...but, haven't used it THAT many times as of yet.

I'm happy with it as a 3.5 season tent. It's a little too heavy to carry in true summer. There's just enough room to put two 20" wide sleeping pads next to each other; gear does have to go in the vestibules.

Not sure that I think the vestibules are big enough for the gear if it's raining...they work to store if you only have a little gear to put in them...

We had a tarp with us to put over our gear this past week...we kept some stuff (what we would need the next am for breakfast and shoes) in the vestibule

Hubba Hubba is real sweet. Plenty of room for me and my father (both about 6' 200lbs) Both could sit right up in it, pretty decent room in the vestibule too. Never had a problem with it leaking, good ventilation, and fairly light for a 2 person. Holds heat well too though. On a cold night up near Mt. Isolation, we hung a small lantern in the tent as we played cards, that little lantern heated up the tent a good 15 degrees.

I've also seen the minimalist set-up of only the footprint, poles, and the rainfly work well on a summer 4 day-3 night AT trek from ME Rt. 4 to Rt. 27. Not sure the weight but going that way with it is real light.

Also, since the tent itself is mostly mesh, ditching the rain-fly lets you feel like you're sleeping under the stars.

Definitely recommended.

Last edited:
I have a hubba hubba and think it's a great tent. I use it with my wife on canoe camping and backpacking trips. Plenty of room for us and our 50lb dog. There is an entrance on both sides with vestibules so both people have their own entrance and room to stow their pack. excellent ventilation which minimizes condensation. However this ventilation also allows for drafts when camping in cold conditions. Above 10 degrees I love it.

Buy It

I am on my second one. I beat the first one to death and when I heard about the double entry, I bought a new one. It keeps heat in, but what tent doesn't? Don't think that it will keep you warm, and keep in mind that if the wind blows, it will blow under the fly. I have slept in it down to -15 and it was fun, but not ideal. So...great summer tent, but if you want warmth, make sure you have a good bag.

Also, setting it up; I find that staking down the corners before you put the poles up creates a night flat and tight floor. I believe MSR suggests that in the set up instructions, not sure.

Another thing. Flies and bugs will get caught in between the mesh and the fly. No biggie, but you will wake to a symphony of buzzing during bug season.

No leaking and I use it without the fly all of the time. When I wake in a campground, I make sure that I am out of my bag and completely naked.

Buy it.

Last edited:
Love it!!

Neighbor carried it from Mexico to Canada last year, the thing is still going strong!! (besides a few holes chewed through the screen from crazy mice in Washington state, it's in great condition) Plenty of room for 2 and having your own entry/vestibule is wonderful. There are lighter tents out there, but this thing is great and bomb-proof in the wind too! I'd buy another one if this thing ever dies!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, just bought mine too. And it will get a workout next week!!