Hudson (NMWoods) & Pt 1560 (Eagle Lake) ME

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckyball1

Reaction score
....if it's really "all about the journey", there were a few rough patches today

Headed north at the stroke of 230 -up Rt 95 into The County, off at Smyrna Mills (exit 288 if you care), over Rts 212 & 11 to Ashland, one of the northern gateways to North Maine Woods --this last bunch of peaks may go kicking and screaming; today's were not without struggle

Hudson-1937'-I've had concerns re Hudson, not the hike, but getting to the hike-from Ashland, i'd be heading in about 38 miles on NMW dirt roads. I've been in this particular area several times for Round, Peaked, the the other Peaked and the roads can be tough especially as you travel "deeper". The journey was "free" today as the gate stations for NMW aren't open yet. Usually at this time of year many roads are soft and impassable and the loggers have all been pulled out. Al C at NMW told me the roads were in good shape for so early in the year and he was right, good for May 3rd , but not w/o minor peril.

In the American Realty Road to Pinkham, south on Pinkham to the Machias River. The ARR & Pinkham were dry and not too bumpy, but the rock was everywhere, not yet raked or settled. I saw NO vehicles on the road all day--fine as you needn't dodge the log trucks (i always talk about them), but disconcerting as there's no help when you need some. About four miles down on Pinkham a large moose came from nowhere down a bank and right in front of the the Forester-my second closest almost a crash experience-unnerving. Several more moose crossed in front of the car during the day, but not close enough for concern/fright. As I swung onto the Jack Mt Rd at the river, i thought the "rear end" was making an unusual noise, but hard to tell on the rough roads; should have looked then. About 2-3 miles later, i stopped to scout the feasibility of getting through a washout (went OK), but saw my right rear was almost flat. I've found that it's almost impossible to notice a tire going down traveling on dirt in the Forester--now the Prizm, easy catch.

I always worry re being waaay back in, will the car start? need the chainsaw? can i avoid smashing the undercarriage?--your mind (at least mine) can become a mess if you let it run. This was only my second flat in all these hikes. Couldn't get the car off the road (and i didn't yet know there were no logging trucks) so i hustled to free the lug nuts (no prob as i WD-40d them earlier in the week), jack the car, pull the flat--damn, it's frozen on; found a large rock and with my skills honed on Pt 2550 yesterday (you'll have to read it), i pound the wheel and break the rust loose. Mount the full size spare i carry and it's decision time. I'm 18 miles back in, have only the donut spare left and from past visits, know the road can be really bad in the "next" 20 miles to my start point. No brainer, i've come to far and hope 2 more flats is low probability, but then it is a long walk out.The flat was a sidewall hit from the insidious shale they use up here on the roads. The locals all use 8 and 10 ply tires on their dirt road vehicles , but that's not feasible for me.

So on we go; the road is actually pretty good back in there toward "The Other Peaked"--a few washouts and spots of water on the road, but OK. About a mile from my planned start, i see a patch of freshly dumped shale about 25 yards long covering a washout. It's park time, that new unconsolidated shale cuts like a knife. The hike itself is anticlimactic, road walk, relatively short, steepish hike in open woods, two possible tops in the woods about 100' apart and NO sign humans ever go there.

Pt 1560-1560'
I head out for the 38 miles back to asphalt more slowly than usual, worried and happy to see each mile marker--maybe i was going too fast for conditions? With a smile i hit the asphalt in Ashland, call Marsha to let her know hike #1 is done and spin north on RT 11 thru Portage to Eagle Lake which is just south of Wallagrass Station (i can never resist getting the name Wallagrass Station into a TR if feasible). Stop at the Town Office, chat with a helpful Town Manager and turn back Devoe Brook Rd toward Dickwood Lake. Park about 2/3 of the way in and simply headed up the little peak after negotiating a bog and tightroping a beaver dam. The hike is a shortish, slightly steep "sprint" thru open woods with the only sunshine in the state today streaming down--am actually sweating. Lots of "steps" or "benches" of land before an obvious an open wood top-no view--just flow back down the slippery slopes to the beaver dam and the car--no problems--hike was fun, a good end to the day

home at 4PM after 465 miles driving, about 85 on dirt

epilogue: i stop at my tire place at 4 PM, by 425 i am out the door with a new tire to replace the battered one --joy of a road hazard warranty which covers my craziness (i chatted re my hiking/driving habits with the owner some years ago and he was fine with it--am sure he loses little $ and it makes me happy)

jim

Last edited:
Good to have you back on the road Jim! Will look forward to this years "out to the middle of nowhere" treks. Ran in similar tire problems 20 years ago. Returning from Norway Bluff, lost a tire on a '91 Cavalier on Pinkham. Donut was flat as well. It was spring and there wasn't a soul out there either! Drove it all the way to Ashland on the flat. Just wanted to get the heck out of there!

Bill

An experienced hiker I know won't go on a hike where the driving time would exceed the hiking time. I take it you do not follow that rule?

Your adventures would make a good reality TV series. I'd watch, anyway.