Huge group hike planned Franconia Ridge.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife & I brought a couple of school groups up in the 1990's. I sent my info back into the USFS and they replied but they never sent a permit. We were 20 one time and 25 or so the 2nd, staying at Greenleaf & Zealand. Permits are more of an issue if the leader is making a profit. (We split some up on the trail, having fast kids help clean up or carry more group gear)

I don't foresee "The Man" locking up access to the White Mountain National Forest.

They'd need a bigger budget & that's highly unlikely unless something traumatic or catastrophic occurs. The National or State parks don't have multiple state routes going through them. You can't limit access to 16, 302, 25, 93 & 112. How many rangers would you need to patrol all the trailheads? They'd have to triple (at least) their staff.

What would happen if all the parking spots were full when these groups arrived? Do they get dropped off in buses (or leave them in the lots) or are they an extra 40-60 cars in the lots?

This year Memorial day and the Canadian May long weekend fall on different weekends although the group from Quebec seems to be going on the Memorial day w/nd.

When the parking lots are full are people allowed to park along the shoulder of the highway?

..When the parking lots are full are people allowed to park along the shoulder of the highway?
It would appear so. In the past, I've seen long lines of vehicles parked to the north of Lafayette Place, and no sign of tickets/tow trucks. I don't recall seeing any signs with "No Parking" as you do over near Pinkham. This overflow is a common occurrence on weekends.

One of the alterations to the parkway last year was the addition of a berm in the median strip between the two Lafayette Place lots, Previously on busy weekends car would park on the median strip. If cars are parked off the pavement, usually the state troopers dont tow but like Pinkham, if they are in the mood they can tow numerous vehicles on just about any busy weekend. Usually organized groups have buses or vans, its the day hikers that tend to take up spaces.

Of course there is always the Tramway lot and Greenleaf trail. Or my preferred alternative is a 7 am or earlier start.

I hiked Franconia Ridge on Labor Day weekend one time-there were probably a thousand people up there. Beautiful day, massive crowds. I imagine a group of 100 people would have been swallowed by it easily.

How bad is the parking at Lafayette Place going to be on Saturday July 6? Is a mid day arrival going to be problematic? I hadn't considered this until reading this thread.

How bad is the parking at Lafayette Place going to be on Saturday July 6? Is a mid day arrival going to be problematic? I hadn't considered this until reading this thread.
Oh, you won't be able to park in the parking lot by midday that weekend. Not even close. You'll be out on the side of the highway or (better option) up at the Tramway parking lot. I'd plan on that and hope that if you're lucky and have lead a life of purity and sacrifice you'll see someone leaving just as you arrive.

I hiked Franconia Ridge on Labor Day weekend one time-there were probably a thousand people up there. Beautiful day, massive crowds. I imagine a group of 100 people would have been swallowed by it easily.

I haven't seen 1000 on the Franconia Ridge in one day, but it's not unusual to have more than 500 on a nice holiday weekend day.

Last edited:
Oh, you won't be able to park in the parking lot by midday that weekend. Not even close. You'll be out on the side of the highway or (better option) up at the Tramway parking lot. I'd plan on that and hope that if you're lucky and have lead a life of purity and sacrifice you'll see someone leaving just as you arrive.

Both parking lots were full by late morning this past weekend (May 18 & 19) and cars were parking along the roadside.

Both parking lots were full by late morning this past weekend (May 18 & 19) and cars were parking along the roadside.

I think it may have been because it was a holiday for our northern neighbors. Today is Victoria Day in Canada. There were lots of people at the summit of Washington on Saturday. Very festive mood.