Huge group hike planned Franconia Ridge.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
On a particular web site a group of greater than 100 people (111 confirmed with 32 maybes) are organizing a hike to Franconia Ridge on the May 31-June 1 weekend. I have encountered a group of 60 from this same organization in the Adirondacks and contacted the site administrator regarding the regs but my message may not have had much impact.

I don't know the regs in the Whites that well but am under the impression there is a day-hike group size limitation of 10 in the Whites.

Perhaps someone here wants to pick this up and contact F&G.

Here's the group's website (note: it's in Frech) :
http://qc.bougex.com/events/rando-lafayette-week-end-3-jours-en-condos

I think I'll head up that day and sell hot dogs from the summit. Cha-ching.

Yay! :-/

The group size limitation, while good practice for all areas IMO, is only "rule-of-the-land" (and hopefully enforced) in the official wilderness areas.

Guess I'll have to keep that in mind and avoid this area on that day.

I think I'll head up that day and sell hot dogs from the summit. Cha-ching.

You'd probably do better selling poutine! :)

Last edited:
The group size limit is a regulation in designated Wilderness and a "recommendation" elsewhere. The normal Franconia Ridge route stays just outside any Wilderness. (In fact, about a third of the mileage is in the state park, not the National Forest.)

That trail can see hundreds of people a day, but, 111 in one group?! Ils exaggerent!

I kept one track on hike, about 15 years ago. Mid-week, in July, I stopped counting at 100. Probably 20 or so more. I saw 11 dogs (not a dog rant, mine was #12).

That was mid-week...There were many "turnstile" jokes that day....

The group size limit is a regulation in designated Wilderness and a "recommendation" elsewhere. The normal Franconia Ridge route stays just outside any Wilderness. (In fact, about a third of the mileage is in the state park, not the National Forest.)
Then I guess they are legal and further action beyond a head's up is unwarranted.

Wow. That is a BIG group. I have to say, the biggest group I have ever encountered in the Whites was a French-Canadian group on Franconia Ridge, maybe 10 years ago. Many tens of people, perhaps one hundred. Ugh.

Thanks for the heads up.

Crowds on FRT? Why I never...

TDAWG totally stole my poutine joke.

Biggest crowd (of hikers) I ever saw was on Chocorua... Busloads of teens in Khaki's and white buttoned down shirts. Looked like they were prepping for a mass suicide.

Crowds on FRT? Why I never...

TDAWG totally stole my poutine joke.

Biggest crowd (of hikers) I ever saw was on Chocorua... Busloads of teens in Khaki's and white buttoned down shirts. Looked like they were prepping for a mass suicide.

Sounds like the same crowd I saw on Franconia Ridge about 4 years ago. They were seminary students, all happy young men, singing the entire time. There were about 80 of them (I asked). Apparently they do a hike every year.

Yeah, that sounds about right, although when we passed them they were split up into smaller groups (maybe 4-5 groups of 15-20 each). A seminary would make sense. They were certainly happier than I would have expected since most people in the group were hiking in dress shoes.

Sounds like the same crowd I saw on Franconia Ridge about 4 years ago. They were seminary students, all happy young men, singing the entire time. There were about 80 of them (I asked). Apparently they do a hike every year.
look on the bright side,think about what it would be like if there was 80-100 hare krishnas.It would be so loud with their bells and drums and singing.peace...

If it's a Franch group, better put those dogs on a bagguette.

I also met a seminary group on Franconia Ridge, but as mentioned they were in smaller groups not a long line. One of them gave me a blessing.

Another time I met groups in camp T-shirts and shorts, there were well over 100 boys but split up into groups of 6-7 and some doing the loop each way so there were small groups of them visible everywhere above treeline. Is that better than one long line?

Still can't compare to Columbus Day on Mt Monadnock. Many years you can't even get into the state park to start up the White Dot / White Cross, but have to chose alternative trail heads to park at. Of course you could always move out here and put up with the endless turnstile action heading down the first 1/4 mile or so of the Grand Canyon's Bright Angel Trail in peak summer season. :D

On a particular web site a group of greater than 100 people (111 confirmed with 32 maybes) are organizing a hike to Franconia Ridge on the May 31-June 1 weekend. I have encountered a group of 60 from this same organization in the Adirondacks and contacted the site administrator regarding the regs but my message may not have had much impact.

I certainly hope they will not be going CCW because everybody knows.... :D

I don't know the regs in the Whites that well but am under the impression there is a day-hike group size limitation of 10 in the Whites.

Perhaps someone here wants to pick this up and contact F&G.

Here's the group's website (note: it's in Frech) :
http://qc.bougex.com/events/rando-lafayette-week-end-3-jours-en-condos
I would imagine that the guy organizing the event would have contacted someone regarding the large group and they will split up prior to the hike. But then again, we all know what happens when we assume things with hikers

Hey for what they are paying for their condo unit they ought to get the best bang for the buck. Scrap the hike and sing at the condo.

The younger "me" would be complaining about this but now it makes me happy to see others (even throngs) out enjoying our beautiful natural world.

When I think "solitude" Franconia Ridge on a weekend doesn't immediately come to mind.

The more people on the trails = more awareness of their existence & hopefully more support of funding and preserving our natural areas.

The younger "me" would be complaining about this but now it makes me happy to see others (even throngs) out enjoying our beautiful natural world.

When I think "solitude" Franconia Ridge on a weekend doesn't immediately come to mind.

The more people on the trails = more awareness of their existence & hopefully more support of funding and preserving our natural areas.

+++++++++++++++++ :)

Agree! Plenty of "solitude is always available off trail.