Hung or Hide?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quack

Reaction score
Now that we're all buying bear canisters I have a question: What exactly is the proper protocol for using a bear canister? Should I still hang it in a tree or should I hide it in the bushes near someone else's camp? I'm thinking you just leave them on the ground, but could someone please verify that?

Leave it on the ground without any straps or rope attached away from your site. You don't want to give the bear anything to hold onto to be able to drag the canister away. Also want to leave it away from any dropoffs where the bear could send it flying.

Reflective tape is helpful; your name and contact info inside increases the liklihood you will get it back if you cant find it after its been moved by a bear and has rolled downhill a great distance.

I often try to wedge mine between 2 trees or stick it under bushes away from the tent or lean-to. By the way, the canisters are also great protection against racoons and rodents, which is one of the reasons I wedge it between 2 trees. A bear would have the strength to get it out of any place I put it, but will lose interest quickly if it can't into the canister.

I try to find a bowl like depression, much larger than the cannister. That way, the bear would have trouble rolling it away. I'd hate to discover a playful bear found my cannister when it was left at the top of a hill! They seem like they'd roll pretty far. :D

I would not wedge or otherwise secure my canister in a location. I would not want to give a bear the opportunity to push on the hatch (door) as I do not think the hatch locking mechanism is strong enough to resist the power of a bear. The key is to leave the canister loose so the bear does not have any leverage on it.

I usually find a dead tree or wedge it between 2 trees and turn it upsidedown (digging out the duff from underneath it-thinking maybe the smell wont travel as far as with the lid up). Also leave it far away from our tentsite.

Thanks for all the info everyone. I'm actually glad to hear that you can just leave it on the ground; so much easier than stringing up a bag in the dark while bugs eat you alive. (my usual situation)